KINGSPORT — A gunman entered a Colonial Heights dental office to murder his wife on Wednesday morning, according to police, and then was shot and detained by a patient who was legally carrying a firearm.

The female victim was transported by EMS to a local hospital where she died, while the suspect survived and was receiving treatment. 

“A concealed carry permit holder saw the threat, took action on the threat and stood by until officers arrived,” said Sullivan County Sheriff Jeff Cassidy. “We’re calling him a hero today.”

The incident was called in at David A. Guy Dentistry at 9:47 a.m. The first Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office deputy arrived at the scene, 150 Clinic Drive, about six minutes later. Kingsport police and the Tennessee Highway Patrol also responded, with dozens of officers soon descending on the building. 

The victim and suspect are not being named at this time, pending the notification of the next of kin. Cassidy described the shooting as a “workplace” domestic violence incident, adding that the armed suspect entered with the intent to kill his wife. The concealed carry holder who shot that man is also not being named, but officials confirmed he was at the dental office to receive treatment.

In the aftermath of the shooting, the SCSO conducted extensive mapping of the property. The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation responded to provide any needed assistance, while Sullivan County District Attorney General Barry Staubus entered the office and was briefed by detectives.

Investigators also conducted interviews with numerous patients and employees, including one who left in bloodstained nursing scrubs. 

Meanwhile, Sullivan County Schools officials initiated a lockdown at nearby Colonial Heights Middle School as a safety precaution.

Additional details on the incident are expected to be released by the SCSO on Thursday. Check with for updates as they become available.

Previous story:

KINGSPORT — More than a dozen police officers have descended on a Colonial Heights medical office after a report of a Wednesday morning shooting.

The call came in before 10 a.m. from Clinic Drive. Thirty minutes later, investigators were gathering information on the incident to share with the media.

Check back with for information as it becomes available.