ROGERSVILLE — A Morristown man who injured a woman in a crash while allegedly driving drunk in the wrong lane of Highway 11-W earlier this year was indicted last week on numerous charges, including reckless aggravated assault.
The crash occurred the night of Jan. 15 when a 2008 Hyundai Tiburon driven by Nicholas Ray Gross, 38, reportedly pulled out of a market in Surgoinsville driving the wrong way in the westbound lanes of 11-W.
In front of Volunteer High School, Gross allegedly struck a westbound vehicle occupied by Whitney and Hunter Arnold almost head-on.
A westbound Honda driven by Pam Clifton then struck Gross’ vehicle as it was spinning.
Clifton was treated at Holston Valley Medical Center for non-life-threatening injuries.
Gross, whose car came to rest near the Tipton Avenue intersection, reportedly fled on foot in the direction of the high school after the crash occurred.
A witness pointed out Gross’ location to police in the backyard of a residence on Volunteer Street, and the CHPD had to wrestle him to the ground and use a Taser twice to take him into custody.
On June 1, a Hawkins County grand jury returned several indictments against Gross, including reckless aggravated assault, a Class D felony punishable by 2-4 years; as well as felony reckless endangerment, a Class E felony punishable by 1-2 years; DUI second offense; leaving the scene of an accident with injury; driving on a revoked license; open alcohol container; resisting arrest and criminal impersonation.
Gross has been held in the Hawkins County Jail on $15,000 bond since his Jan. 15 arrest and will be arraigned Friday in Hawkins County Criminal Court.
The grand jury handed down several indictments on June 1. Also scheduled to be arraigned Friday are:
* William Brandon Bass, 29, 645 Cold Springs Road, Surgoinsville, for aggravated assault.
* Chanda Lee Lawson, 42, 4101 Bloomingdale Road, Kingsport, for possession of meth with intent to deliver, simple possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.
* Robin Lynn “Goob” Mullins, 49, 245 Poor Valley Road, Rogersville, for delivery of meth.
* Christopher Isaac Weston, 31, for theft over $1,000.
* Christopher Scott Bean, 22, 156 Bean Road, Rogersville, for aggravated burglary and theft over $1,000.
* Marvin Rickie Hurst, 59, 317 Cannon St., Kingsport, for four counts of theft of merchandise over $1,000.
* James Keith Lawson, 48, 710 W. Broadway, Rogersville, for aggravated burglary, and theft over $1,000.
Video from Jan. 15 Nicholas Ray Gross crash scene: