KINGSPORT — City police responding to a Wednesday morning domestic disturbance in Lynn Garden shot a man, according to authorities, after he came at officers while armed with a knife.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation has identified the suspect as Andrew C. Witt, 27, of Kingsport. His condition has not been specified, but the TBI said he is receiving treatment at a local hospital.

At about 5:30 a.m. Wednesday, police were alerted to a dispute at a home in the 100 block of Mullins Street. Kingsport Police Department Public Information Officer Tom Patton initially reported that "a suspect produced a weapon, resulting in shots being fired by one or more officers."

As is protocol for officer-involved shootings, Sullivan County District Attorney General Barry Staubus requested an investigation by the TBI.

Kingsport police later identified the armed man as Witt, adding that he was armed with a knife and shot by at least two officers. No police personnel were injured.

The TBI and KPD are now conducting parallel probes of the incident. Findings of the TBI will be shared with Staubus throughout the process for his consideration and review.

Meanwhile, Kingsport police say charges are pending against Witt. 


Update, 9:45 a.m. — According to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, the individual shot by police was man armed with a knife. He has yet to be publicly identified, as authorities are attempting to notify his next-of-kin.

When the incident occurred, police were responding to a domestic dispute.

“At some point during the encounter, the man came at officers with a knife,” reports the TBI. “At least two officers fired shots, striking the subject.”

The man was transported to the hospital for treatment. No officers were injured. 


Check back for updates as they are available. 

Previous story:

KINGSPORT — An early Wednesday morning incident in Lynn Garden has led to an individual being shot by police.

According to information released by the Kingsport Police Department, at about 5:30 a.m. officers were dispatched to a disturbance in the 100 block of Mullins Street.

A press release states: “Shortly after their arrival, a suspect produced a weapon, resulting in shots being fired by one or more officers.”

The suspect has been transported to an area medical facility for treatment. No officers were injured in the incident.

“Kingsport Police Department investigators are in the preliminary stages of their investigation into the incident,” reads a statement from the KPD. “As is protocol in officer-involved shootings, and in the interest of complete transparency, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation has also been requested to respond to conduct an independent parallel investigation. Additional information will be released at an appropriate time as it develops.”

Check back with for details as they become available.