Johnson City's first major health facility, Memorial Hospital, opened to the public in 1911.
It became Appalachian Hospital in 1931, was renamed Memorial Hospital decades later and then replaced by Johnson City Medical Center in 1980.
In celebration of 110 years of service to the region, Ballad Health unveiled a new mural on JCMC's campus to celebrate the legacy of the hospitals and health care workers of the past, present and future. It was unveiled on the last day of National Nurses Week.
The mural was designed by artist Bill Bledsoe, who also painted the mural in Majestic Park in downtown Johnson City. It faces the walk bridge that connects the hospital to its parking garage.