• INDIVIDUAL PITCHING LESSONS, for ages 9-14, are being offered by David Hoover, the former Dobyns-Bennett and Daniel Boone pitching coach. Call 578-3427 for details.
• FALL BASEBALL CLASSIC TOURNAMENTS, for 18-under high school or select teams and hosted by Cleveland State Community College, will take place Aug. 26-27, Sept. 23-24 and Oct. 14-15. Entry fee is $475 plus a dozen baseballs per tournament. Contact Aaron Bryant at (423) 473-2445 or [email protected]
• KINGSPORT INDIANS 14-UNDER baseball team will hold tryouts for the 2018 season on Tuesday, Aug. 29, from 6-8 p.m., at Domtar Park. To be eligible, a player may not turn 15 before April 30, 2018. For more information, call (423) 765-3790.
• SHOOTING STARS 3-ON-3 Fall Youth Basketball League signups, for boys and girls grades 4-12, run through Aug. 31. The league features a 12-game season, which starts Sept. 3, plus a tournament. Games will be played on Sundays only at Science Hill in Johnson City. Entry fee is $150 per team. Call (423) 341-0133 or email [email protected]
• TRIBE BASKETBALL GOLF Classic will be held Saturday, Sept. 23 at the Club at Ridgefields in Kingsport. The entry fee per team is $400, and sponsorship packages are available. Contact Dobyns-Bennett coach Chris Poore at (423) 747-7184 or [email protected] for more information or to reserve a spot.
• CHURCH HILL TROUT RODEO, sponsored by VFW Post 9754, Buffalo Springs Fish Hatchery, CASVA Angus Farm and Food City, will take place on Saturday, Sept. 23 at Jaycees Park, 455 N. Central Ave., Church Hill. Running from 8:30-10 a.m., the Trout Rodeo is for children ages 4-16 and offers age divisions of 4-7, 8-11 and 12-16. Trophies will be awarded, and there will be a chance for the kids to win a new bicycle. Register your child either at Church Hill City Hall or at Jaycees Park before 8:15 a.m. the day of the event. Call the Recreation Department at (423) 357-7010 with further questions.
• LINCOLN MEMORIAL men's lacrosse and the Kingsport Knights Lacrosse Club are hosting a Free Try Lacrosse Clinic from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 26 at Ross N. Robinson Middle School in Kignsport. The clinic will introduce the game to children who have never played through hands-on drills and games led by coaches and players from both LMU and the Kingsport Knights. The Free Try Lacrosse Clinic is no-contact, so no equipment is necessary to participate. The Knights will provide participants with a stick to use during the event, which will be held rain or shine. To register, visit kingsportknights.org and navigate to the News section of the site, which contains a registration link. You may also direct any questions to info[email protected]
• HEART FOR HAITI 5K, hosted by Ragged Edge Ministries, will be held Saturday, Aug. 26 at Sugar Hollow Park in Bristol, Va. Registration will begin at 9 a.m. and the race at 10 a.m. along the cross country course. Cost is $25. To learn more, contact Paul Maggard at (276) 393-0220 or [email protected] or Norma Mullins at (423) 384-6175 or [email protected]
• FIFTH CHURCH HILL MEDICAL MISSION 5K Flamingo Run will be held Saturday, Aug. 26 at Church Hill's Derrick Park (behind Food City). Registration starts at 7 a.m. and the run begins at 8 a.m. Entry fee before Aug. 20 is $25 and $35 thereafter. For more information, email Tammy Brown at [email protected]
• BAYS MOUNTAIN TRAIL RACE, a 15-mile trail race and part of the Skelton Law Racing Series, will be held on Saturday, Sept. 23, starting at 8 a.m. Contact Mark Skelton at (423) 272-4812 or [email protected]
• ASCENT AT MOUNTAIN AIR 5K will be held Saturday, Oct. 14 in Burnsville, N.C. Registration is limited to 200 runners. Learn more online at the Ascent at Mountain Air website.
• CROOKED RIVER HALF MARATHON, part of the Skelton Law Racing Series, will be held at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 15 at The Lodge at Crooked River on AP Carter Highway in Virginia. Contact Mark Skelton at (423) 272-4812 or [email protected]
• SNAP FITNESS of Kingsport is offering a free women's self-defense class on Saturdays from noon-1 p.m. starting Sept. 2. Snap Fitness is in the Kingsport Pavilion, 2626 E. Stone Dr.
• CARSON-NEWMAN ONE-DAY Instruction Camp, for girls of all ages, will be held from 9 a.m.-noon on Saturday, Nov. 4 at the Vickee Kazee-Hollifield Softball Complex on the campus in Jefferson City. Check-in that day begins at 8:30 a.m. Cost is $45. Register online at cneagles.com/camps or contact Coach Kazee-Hollifield at [email protected] or assistant coach Michael Graves at [email protected]
• GIRLS 18-UNDER SOFTBALL team is forming and all positions are needed. Call Bill Troutman at (423) 677-8944 for more information.
• KINGSPORT PIRANHAS FALL CLINIC and tryouts, for all swimmers interested in joining the Piranhas, will be held through Aug. 24 at Dobyns-Bennett. Cost is $80. Register online at KingsportPiranhas.com. For more information, call Jorge Blasini at (423) 967-4264 or email [email protected]
• KINGSPORT PIRANHAS DEVELOPMENTAL Swim School for ages 4 and up is accepting registrations for one remaining fall session, Sept. 19-Oct. 24, at Dobyns-Bennett. Cost is $120. Register online at KingsportPiranhas.com. For more information, call Jorge Blasini at (423) 967-4264 or email [email protected]
• EASTMAN RECREATION is organizing women’s and mixed volleyball leagues. Practice begins Sept. 18 and the season begins Oct. 16. There will be a managers meeting on Thursday, Oct. 5 at 5:30 p.m. in room B-310. Entry fee is $100 per team. For more information, call (423) 229-3771 or Jack Henry at (423) 384-1765.