• VIRGINIA-WISE BASEBALL Prospect Camp will be held Saturday, Oct. 28 at Stallard Field. The pro-style camp is open to high school and junior college-age players interested in playing NCAA Division II baseball. The cost is $40. Registration will open at 9:30 a.m. and the camp will begin at 10 a.m. Athletes may preregister online at uvawisecavs.com, under the Baseball tab.
• INDIVIDUAL PITCHING LESSONS, for ages 9-14, are being offered by David Hoover, the former Dobyns-Bennett and Daniel Boone pitching coach. Call 578-3427 for details.
• FALL BASEBALL CLASSIC tournament, for 18-under high school or select teams and hosted by Cleveland State Community College, will be held Oct. 14-15. Entry fee is $475 plus a dozen baseballs per tournament. Contact Aaron Bryant at (423) 473-2445 or [email protected]
• JUNIOR INDIAN Basketball Academy, for boys and girls ages in grades 2-5 and coached by Dobyns-Bennett staff and players and running from 6-7:30 p.m., has remaining dates of Sept. 27, Oct. 4 and Oct. 11 at TNT Sportsplex, 600 East Main St., Kingsport. Cost is $50. Visit the TNT Sportsplex Facebook page for a registration form.
• CHURCH HILL/MOUNT CARMEL/Surgoinsville Recreation Department will hold basketball registration in September. Age brackets are 5-6 coed, 7-9 girls, 7-9 boys, 10-12 girls and 10-12 boys. Register at Church Hill City Hall Monday-Friday, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., or go online at churchhilltn.gov. The fee is $20 for city residents and $30 for non-city residents. A child must turn 5 before Sept. 30, 2017, and not turn 13 before that date. Bring a copy of the child’s birth certificate when registering. Call the Rec Department at (423) 357-7010 for more information.
• KINGSPORT PARKS AND RECREATION youth basketball registration is underway. Leagues are offered for boys ages 5-17 and girls ages 5-15. Participants must live inside Kingsport city limits or attend city schools or parents must own property within the city. Registration for children ages 5-12 runs through Oct. 16. Registration for children ages 13-17 runs through Oct. 30. Cost is $20 per child, which does not include a jersey fee. Register at the Civic Auditorium Athletic Office Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Call (423) 229-9459 or email [email protected] to learn more.
• SALVATION ARMY’S FIRST Red Shield Golf Tournament will be held Saturday, Sept. 30 at Crockett Ridge Golf Course in Kingsport. The event begins with an 8 a.m. shotgun start. Preregistration is required; entry fee is $400 for a four-person team or $100 per individual. Call (423) 292-5230
• 17TH DARRELL RICE KIWANIS Golf Tournament will be held Wednesday, Oct. 4 at Cattails at MeadowView in Kingsport. Registration for the captain’s choice (four-person team) event is at 11 a.m., lunch at 11:30 and a shotgun start at 1 p.m. Entry fee is $100 per person. Sponsorships are available. Call Lee Cornell at (423) 230-0530.
• TUSCULUM HOMECOMING Golf Tournament will be held Friday, Oct. 20 at Link Hills Country Club in Greeneville. The four-person, captain’s choice event will begin with a shotgun start at 1 p.m. The cost is $100 per player; Tusculum alumni receive a $25 discount). Sponsorships are available. Contact Blake Cantrell, director of athletic development, at (423) 636-7331 or [email protected]
• THIRD #ALLFORHALEY 5K Run/Walk will take place Saturday, Sept. 30 at Sugar Hollow Park in Bristol, Va., beginning at 8 a.m. Proceeds from the race go to CURE (Citizens United for Research in Epilepsy) in memory of Haley Neal. Go online at cureep.convio.net/goto/haley for more information or to register.
• 18TH STICK BOY MAYVIEW MADNESS 5K Run/Walk, benefiting the Blue Ridge Conservancy, will be held Saturday, Sept. 30 in Blowing Rock, N.C. Fee for the 5K walk is $25 if registered by Sept. 27; day-of-race registration is $30. Fee for the 1-mile kids race is $15 before Sept. 27 or $20 the day of the event. To register, go online at register.chronotrack.com/r/32088. Day-of-race registration is at Blowing Rock Recreation Center, 145 Park Ave., Blowing Rock, N.C. 28605.
• HIGH KNOB HELLBENDER 10K, which serves as the 10K Mountain Road Championship for both the Virginia and Kentucky associations of USA Track & Field, will be held Oct. 7. The 6.2-mile race boasts more than a 2,000-foot elevation gain in its climb from downtown Norton to the High Knob summit. Go online at highknobhellbender.wordpress.com to learn more or to register.
• ASCENT AT MOUNTAIN AIR 5K will be held Saturday, Oct. 14 in Burnsville, N.C. Registration is limited to 200 runners. Learn more online at the Ascent at Mountain Air website.
• CROOKED RIVER HALF MARATHON, part of the Skelton Law Racing Series, will be held at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 15 at The Lodge at Crooked River on AP Carter Highway in Virginia. Contact Mark Skelton at (423) 272-4812 or [email protected]
• CARSON-NEWMAN ONE-DAY Instruction Camp, for girls of all ages, will be held from 9 a.m.-noon on Saturday, Nov. 4 at the Vickee Kazee-Hollifield Softball Complex on the campus in Jefferson City. Check-in that day begins at 8:30 a.m. Cost is $45. Register online at cneagles.com/camps or contact Coach Kazee-Hollifield at [email protected] or assistant coach Michael Graves at [email protected]
• GIRLS 18-UNDER softball team is forming and all positions are needed. Call Bill Troutman at (423) 677-8944 for more information.
• EASTMAN RECREATION is organizing women’s and mixed volleyball leagues. Practice begins Sept. 18 and the season begins Oct. 16. There will be a managers meeting on Thursday, Oct. 5 at 5:30 p.m. in room B-310. Entry fee is $100 per team. For more information, call (423) 229-3771 or Jack Henry at (423) 384-1765.