Witnesses describe 'horror' of Kingsport dental office shooting

Rain Smith • Updated Mar 22, 2019 at 5:42 PM

KINGSPORT — After murdering his wife in a dental office and being shot by a patient, according to court testimony, Harry Weaver taunted witnesses and pleaded for someone to put a bullet in his head.

On Friday morning, Judge Mark Toohey upheld the $1 million bond previously set for Weaver, 63. Prosecutors also amended their previous first-degree murder charges to include multiple counts of aggravated assault, reckless endangerment and attempted murder.

The moves were preceded by more than two hours of impassioned testimony from witnesses and police, including a coworker of Kelly Weaver, 52.

“He shot her right in the damn head, right in my face,” said Sabrina Steel, her voice cracking. “And then he raised the gun to shoot me.”

History of violence

According to the Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office, the Weavers were going through a divorce. Seven months prior to the Feb. 13 shooting at David A. Guy Dentistry, Kelly had obtained a restraining order against Harry.

Harry is alleged to have a history of violence toward his wife and their children. Steel added that Kelly — not only a coworker, but a friend for 11 years — had shared several voice and text messages from Harry, wherein he threatened to kill his estranged wife.

And a signed statement presented in court indicates Harry made a foreboding remark the morning of the murder. According to SCSO Detective Travis Jackson, before going to the dental office, Harry met with an employee of Eastman Credit Union.

After inquiring if his mortgage had life insurance, he allegedly said that he was “going through a divorce, and it’s going to get worse.”

Before departing, he reportedly wished the ECU employee a happy Valentine’s Day.

Threats materialize

Harry reportedly entered the dental office through an adjacent, adjoined business. According to testimony, the owner of the building had previously hired him to do maintenance work, so Weaver was familiar with the layout.

Steel said Harry was waving a gun equipped with a laser sight and screaming, “Kelly, I told you I was going to get you!”

He allegedly grabbed his estranged wife by the hair and tried to pull her to the back of the building. He then held his gun to Guy’s head when the dentist tried to intervene.

Steel said, “She grabbed ahold of our partition, and she’s looking up and she goes, ‘Please, don’t let him take me!’ So I jumped in and I grabbed her arm and I was pulling her.”

It was then that Harry allegedly shot Kelly in the head. Steel said that he then turned the gun on her, so she ducked and heard multiple gunshots.

Steel said that when she looked up to see Kelly’s body, Weaver boasted, “She’s dead! She’s dead!”

Also giving testimony was Larry Seagroves, a carry permit holder who was being treated by Guy. He said he heard a man and woman yelling, then gunfire.

“I got up, spun around and pulled my revolver,” recalled Seagroves. “I saw Mr. Weaver pointing his gun at Kelly and Sabrina, and I began firing. I fired three times.”

“Never seen anything like it”

One of the initial officers on the scene was Kingsport Police Department Sgt. Kevin Hite.

“It looked like a horror movie,” said Hite.

Outside, a man in scrubs was running around the parking lot, according to Hite. Inside, he thought a woman in a corner had been shot, as she was pale and nonresponsive. Hite said it turned out she was just “shell-shocked.”

Lying in the floor was Harry, bleeding and held at gunpoint by Seagroves.

“The first thing he said to me,” Hite said of Weaver, “was he pointed to his forehead and said, ‘Shoot me right here.’ ”

As officers sorted through what occurred, according to Hite, Harry was angry, taunting and exceedingly talkative. Among his alleged statements are:

* “Half wasn't good enough for her. She had to have it all. You don’t have to take my word for it. Just read the papers.”

* “You all wouldn’t be dealing with me right now if hero hadn’t stepped in.”

* “He needs to go back to school too, because he can’t shoot very well.”

Hite also supported a high amount for Harry’s bond, saying jail is “where he needs to be.”

“This is one of the top five things that will stick in my memory,” Hite said. “In 24 years of doing this, I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Contemplating a capital case

After hearing testimony, Toohey kept Harry’s bond at $1 million. He agreed with public defender Andrew Gibbon’s contention that the amount was high — when compared to other recent bonds for murder suspects — but said Harry indeed presents a potential danger to others.

Toohey also noted that Harry was unlikely to return for trial, as he had “indicated a desire not to be present in this world.”

By law, bond has to be set for defendants, unless the case is a capital murder. According to Sullivan County Assistant District Attorney Kaylin Render, prosecutors are still weighing whether to pursue the death penalty.

She said that decision will be made by District Attorney General Barry Staubus in conjunction with the Weaver family. The family includes six children between Harry and Kelly.

There are also statutes to meet in capital cases, such as if others were put at risk of death during the incident.

Harry’s charges will be reviewed by a grand jury for confirmation. His next court appearance is set for May 10.

Kingsport Times News Videos