For the 11th year, the Appalachian Community Action Agency (AppCAA) is offering Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) using certified IRS VITA volunteers. The returns are prepared using IRS-approved online tax return preparation software and e-filed free of charge.
What to do
There are three ways to have your tax returns processed: by appointment, walk-in and drop-off. Appointments can be made at AppCAA’s Gate City office, located at 175 Military Lane, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Walk-in tax preparation and filing are done as time permits during those same hours.
As part of the drop-off process, clients leave copies of their personal identifiable information (Social Security numbers/cards, original Form W-2, other income sources, etc.) so volunteers can prepare the tax return onsite at a later time.
After the taxes are completed, the clients will come back to AppCAA to pick up their taxes and sign the completed tax return. AppCAA staff will contact clients if additional information is needed to prepare and/or quality review the return. No appointment is necessary to have taxes processed through the drop-off service during AppCAA’s normal hours of 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
What to bring
Clients are asked to bring all of the following, if available:
• Proof of identification (photo ID)
• Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
• Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
• Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
• Health Insurance Exemption Certificate/Letter, if received
• A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
• Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check (Bank debit cards are not acceptable.)
• Total paid to daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number, such as Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
• Forms 1095-A, B and C (health coverage statements)
• Any other forms that may be needed to complete your tax return
To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
What can’t be prepared?
AppCAA cannot prepare Schedule C with losses, Complicated Schedule D (capital gains and losses), Form SS-5 (request for Social Security Number), Form 8606 (non-deductible IRA), Form 8615 (minor’s investment income), Form SS-8 (determination of worker status for purposes of federal employment taxes and income tax withholding) or Parts 4 & 5 of Form 8962 (Premium Tax Credit).
For more information or to make an appointment, call (276) 452-2441 or (833) 491-VITA, ext. 3.