Hawkins man accused of threatening cousin with handgun

Jeff Bobo • Sep 25, 2019 at 5:00 PM

ROGERSVILLE — Investigators believe a Hawkins County man may have been off his medication earlier this month when an alleged incident occurred at his cousin’s house resulting in several charges, including one count of especially aggravated kidnapping.

Andy Wayne Walker, 37, 428 Thorps Chapel Road, Rogersville, was arraigned Monday in Hawkins County Sessions Court on charges including especially aggravated kidnapping, aggravated assault, aggravated criminal trespassing and possession of a firearm during commission of a felony.

As of Tuesday, Walker remained held in the Hawkins County Jail, although his bond was set at $2,000 during arraignment Monday on the condition that Walker have no contact with the alleged victim, possess no firearms and keep his mental health appointments.

Especially aggravated kidnapping is a Class A felony punishable by 15-60 years if convicted.

Although the incident was reported on Sept. 21, it is alleged to have occurred on Sept. 1.

Walker's first cousin, Allen Steele, reported to Hawkins County Sheriff’s Office detective Brian Boggs that on Sept. 1 around 7 p.m. Walker came to his residence on Thorps Chapel Road in a maroon Subaru, exited the vehicle, pointed two handguns at him and stated he was going to kill Steele.

Boggs stated in his report that Walker then allegedly drew a line in the gravel and “begged him to cross the line so he could shoot Steele.”

Steele told Boggs that he retreated to his porch to get away from the situation. Walker reportedly put the two guns in his pocket and retrieved a larger black handgun, possibly a .44 Magnum, from his vehicle.

Boggs stated in his report, “He walked up onto the porch, grabbed Steele by the throat, put the barrel of the gun to his forehead and told him, 'This is it. I'm going to finish this'. Andy, still pointing the gun at him, pushed him through the front door of his residence.”

Steele reportedly fell through his door into the living room, which caused his TV to break. Walker reportedly picked up the hat Steele was wearing and threw it at him and then left.

Steele told the HCSO that the entire ordeal lasted about 45 minutes, during which time he was unable to leave.

HCSO Chef Deputy Tony Allen told the Times News on Tuesday that investigators are unaware of any motive Walker would have for those alleged actions except that he wasn't taking his medication as prescribed.

Walker is scheduled to appear in Sessions Court again on Oct. 28.

Kingsport Times News Videos