Man who abandoned St. Bernards in house for two weeks pleads guilty in Hawkins Court

Jeff Bobo • May 20, 2019 at 7:00 PM

MOUNT CARMEL — A Mount Carmel man who reportedly abandoned two St. Bernards in a hot room with no water or ventilation last month was sentenced to a fine Monday after his felony animal cruelty charges were reduced to misdemeanors.

The two dogs were rescued from a room at 202 E. Main Street in Mount Carmel on April 30 after being left there for approximately two weeks.

Their owner, Shane Lindsey Chambers, 43, of that address, was arrested Friday at the residence on an outstanding Mount Carmel Police Department warrant charging him with two counts of aggravated animal cruelty.

According to police, at the time of his arrest Chambers was at the residence packing a U-Haul truck.

Chambers spent the weekend in jail with no bond set and appeared in Sessions Court on Monday, when he agreed to plead guilty to misdemeanor animal cruelty and was fined $321.

MCPD Chief Ken Lunsford Jr. told the Times News he was informed by the attorney general's office that if there was confirmation from a veterinarian that both dogs had regained their health, the felony charges would be reduced to misdemeanors in court Monday.

On April 30, MCPD Detective Cody Bussell responded to 202 E. Main Street where a witness had reported the dogs being abandoned in a back room of the house for approximately two weeks.

The witness reportedly stated that Chambers had gone to Pennsylvania and the two St. Bernards appeared to be in bad health.

"I then observed the two dogs both were barely breathing and laying on the (floor)," Bussell said. "Law enforcement was able to make entry into a side window of the house. The dogs had food but no water and were very dehydrated."

Bussell added, "The dogs had no windows (open) or air conditioning on in the house. The electricity and water were turned off and the house was left abandoned."

Bussell noted that both dogs looked bad and were taken to Roark Veterinary Hospital in Kingsport.

Lunsford said, “They were skin and bones, severely under weight, could barely move and there eyes were matted over.”

Both dogs were later released to one of Chambers' family members, Lunsford added.

Kingsport Times News Videos