'Tweaking' Kingsport murder suspects allegedly fired gun on Kentucky road

Rain Smith • Updated Feb 6, 2019 at 12:41 PM

The suspects in Monday’s fatal shooting of two Kingsport residents drew attention to themselves in Kentucky by firing a gun out the window of their pickup, according to police, then trying to flee pursuing officers.

Joseph Dale Clark II, 19, Bald Knob, Arkansas, and Alexander M. Hamilton, 22, Kingsport, were taken into custody after bailing from their vehicle near Columbia, Ky. Also arrested in the Tuesday evening incident was Samantha Glenn, 25, Kingsport.

All three face multiple and additional charges stemming their apprehension, including possession of meth and possession of a stolen firearm.

“You’d think that if you were wanted, especially for a potential double homicide, you think you’d be a little quieter while trying to creep through a town,” Adair County Sheriff Josh Brockman told the Times News. “They were wild.”

Clark and Hamilton were wanted in connection with the murders of Trevor L. Reed, 30, and Shyane I. Bishop, 27. The victims were shot Monday night at Stonecrest Apartments on Stonegate Drive. Reed died shortly after being transported to the hospital. Bishop was placed on life support and passed away on Tuesday afternoon.

Kingsport police are declining to state a possible motive at this time but say that the suspects and victims knew each other and that the shooting was not random. News releases issued Tuesday identified Hamilton and Clark as the suspects, noting they were on the run and considered armed and dangerous.

At around 7 p.m. Tuesday, Kingsport police were contacted by the sheriff’s office in Adair County, located about 200 miles and four hours west of the Mountain Empire.

The Adair County Community Voice reported that shortly after 5 p.m., police began receiving reports of multiple shots fired from a moving vehicle on State Route 55. A deputy soon spotted the suspect vehicle, a ’90s model Chevy S-10, and attempted to conduct a stop.

Sheriff Brockman told the Times News that the pickup pulled into a property, then drove behind a house to a barn. There, Clark and Hamilton allegedly exited the vehicle and ran away, while Glenn stayed in the Chevy and was taken into custody.

Due to the reports of shots fired from a moving vehicle, officers with the Kentucky State Police and Columbia Police Department were converging on the area. Brockman said that after an approximately 20-minute search, Hamilton and Clark were located and arrested without incident.

Brockman said none of the three suspects stated why a gun was being fired from their vehicle. Police searched the stretch of road the trio had been traveling but never found signs of anyone or anything being shot.

“They were obviously under the influence of methamphetamine. They were tweaking pretty bad,” said Brockman. “My guess is they were out of their mind and firing the gun off.”

Online jail records indicate Hamilton was responsible for firing the weapon and was also behind the wheel of the pickup. He is charged with first-degree wanton endangerment and DUI.

Meanwhile, Adair County police charged Hamilton, Clark and Glenn with possession of meth, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of a stolen firearm. Glenn is additionally charged with public intoxication, while Hamilton and Clark face counts of fleeing police. Shortly before noon Wednesday, Hamilton and Clark appeared in court and waived extradition to Tennessee.

The pair were originally charged in Kingsport with second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder. Those warrants were obtained prior to Bishop’s death on Tuesday afternoon, so the charges will likely be amended.

Kingsport Times News Videos