Update: Suspect arrested in Dorothy Street shooting

Rain Smith • Nov 28, 2018 at 12:12 PM

KINGSPORT — Police arrested a Mount Carmel man Wednesday night in connection with a Tuesday night shooting that left a Kingsport resident with injuries to his hand and leg.

According to Tom Patton, Kingsport Police Department public information officer, Chris Owen Horton, 57, was arrested without incident at his residence, 419 Mimosa St., Mount Carmel, at about 8:30 p.m.

Earlier Wednesday, Horton had been identified as a suspect in the Kingsport shooting.

Patton said police responded to a home on Dorothy Street at about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday to find the 41-year-old victim was already being transported to the hospital by another individual.

Officers located a second victim, 18, who had sustained a superficial injury (a burn or possible graze mark) as a result of a firearm being discharged in close proximity to his arm. His injury did not appear to require immediate medical attention.

KPD investigators said that Horton went to the Dorothy Street residence to speak with the older man about a “preexisting matter.” An argument ensued, which eventually led to a struggle.

During the altercation, police said, Horton produced a handgun and shot the 41-year-old in the hand and leg. The 18-year-old apparently sustained his injury as the gun was fired.

The suspect then fled the scene.

Over the course of the investigation, Patton said, detectives positively identified the suspect as Horton. Police then obtained a warrant charging him with two counts of aggravated assault.

After his arrest Wednesday night, Horton was transported to the Kingsport City jail. Patton said he was being held, pending arraignment, in lieu of a $30,000 bond.


Previous story

KINGSPORT — Police are investigating a Tuesday night altercation in a Kingsport home where a man was shot in the hand and leg.

According to records at the Kingsport Police Department, the incident occurred at about 7:30 p.m. Police responded to a home on Dorothy Street to find the victim was already being transported to the hospital by another individual.

Investigators spoke with two witnesses at the scene. They said that a man, who was unknown to them, entered the home and started arguing with the victim. During the altercation, the suspect pulled a gun and shot the resident, then left in a car that was also occupied by a female.

Injuries to the victim, age 41, are not believed to be life-threatening. Along with the two gunshots wounds, he was also burned on the arm. That was due to the close proximity in which the gun was fired.

An investigation is continuing with charges pending.




Kingsport Times News Videos