Mystery substance in Sullivan Jail sends five officers to hospital
J. H. Osborne
Mar 29, 2018 at 9:00 PM
BLOUNTVILLE — Exposure to a mystery substance sent five officers working in the Sullivan County Jail to a hospital Thursday afternoon, according to a press release from Sullivan County Sheriff's Office Public Information Officer Kristen Quon, which included the following details:
• The officers became lightheaded after they found the substance in a bottle and within a few pages of a book while searching one of the jail's cells.
• It all began at about 3 p.m. when a corrections officer noticed suspicious activity coming from the cell, which holds female inmates.
• The 34 inmates housed there were removed and a routine search revealed the substance in the bottle and book.
• Five of the officers exposed to the substance felt lightheaded and were taken to the hospital for testing. All appear to be OK.
• The inmates remained under observation Thursday evening.
• The SCSO's VICE team has taken the substance to have it tested.
• No further information will be available as the investigation continues.