An applicant must answer six out of 10 questions correctly to pass the civics portion of the naturalization test.
Although USCIS is aware that there may be additional correct answers to the 100 civics questions, applicants are encouraged to respond to the civics questions using the answers provided below.
Questions applicants might be asked about geography include:
• Name one of the two longest rivers in the United States. Correct answers: Missouri; Mississippi.
• What ocean is on the West Coast of the United States? Correct answer: Pacific.
• What ocean is on the East Coast of the United States? Correct answer: Atlantic.
• Name one U.S. territory. Correct answers: Puerto Rico; U.S. Virgin Islands; American Samoa; Northern Mariana Islands; Guam.
• Name one state that borders Canada. Correct answers: Maine; New Hampshire; Vermont; New York; Pennsylvania; Ohio; Michigan; Minnesota; North Dakota; Montana; Idaho; Washington; Alaska.
• Name one state that borders Mexico. Correct answers: California; Arizona; New Mexico; Texas.
• What is the capital of the United States? Correct answer: Washington, D.C.
• Where is the Statue of Liberty? Correct answers: New York (Harbor); Liberty Island; (also acceptable are New Jersey, near New York City, and on the Hudson (River).