The Heath Douthat File
Senior at Volunteer High School
Baseball, CF, SS, P
• GPA: 3.7
• ACT: 19
• Favorite Netflix show: “The Office” or “Zoo”
• Favorite song: “The Weekend” by Brantley Gilbert
• College choice: Northeast State or Tennessee Tech
• Enjoys working on cars or trucks
• Likes to go mudding
• Enjoys going to the lake and hanging out with friends
The Four Questions
1. As part of a study on the effect of television on young adults’ minds, you will be required to watch episodes of one series for 12 consecutive hours each day for seven straight days. Your choices are: “The Andy Griffith Show,” “24,” “House,” “Seinfeld.” Which show would you pick and why?
“I would pick ‘The Andy Griffith Show,’ ” Douthat said. “I grew up watching Andy Griffith. I’ve always loved it.”
2. Out of the blue, your high school has been shut down for the remainder of the school year. In order to graduate, you must finish your senior year at another school. What school would you attend, and how would you try to fit in with your new classmates?
“I hate to say, but Cherokee. It would be hard because of the rivalry, but I'd just stay away from the people who already hate me because of the rivalry.”
3. Two days after you earn your master’s degree, a Fortune 500 company calls and offers you a one-time chance at a six-figure salary position — complete with world travel, extended vacations, upward mobility, contracted and guaranteed for 15 years. Later that same day, you are offered a low-salary job in the family business that paid for your education and needs your expertise to survive. Which job do you take and why?
“I would take the six-figure salary and give the money my family needs. And I would help them in my free time.”
4. Lester Holt visits your home town and selects you for a live interview on “NBC Nightly News.” He asks you: What can the Class of 2018 do to make the next generation’s world a less violent place?
“Let people live how they see fit instead of criticizing everyone for everything.”