Band director Chris Andies announced the award to the Hawkins County Board of Education earlier this month when it met at the school.
“The award that you’re looking at tonight is a culmination of hard work from many former students, current students, band boosters, staff, and I thank all of them for this hard work,” Andies told the BOE. “This is given to a high school or middle school band that has earned superior ratings in marching band contests, concert band festivals, as well as superior ratings in sight reading.”
The Tennessee Bandmaster Sweepstakes Award was presented to the band at the Music Education Conference in Nashville.
Andies noted that the Volunteer band has had a very successful decade.
Aside from garnering the achievements necessary to earn the Tennessee Bandmaster Sweepstakes Award, the band has:
* Performed in the halftime show during the 2007 Allstate Sugar Bowl in the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans.
* Performed in the Outback Bowl at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla. as well as the Disney World Electric Light Parade in 2011.
* Marched and performed in Chicago in the Thanksgiving Day Parade in 2016. Volunteer was the only band from Tennessee that participated in that event.
* Marched in the Macy’s Christmas Day Parade in Orlando, Fla., and participated in the Russell Athletic Bowl halftime show at Camping World Stadium in Orlando in 2016.
* Participated in the New York St. Patrick’s Day Parade this past school year. Volunteer was the only band from Tennessee at the event.