ROGERSVILLE — A proposed 2014-15 budget deficit reported June 26 at just under $4.5 million will have been whittled down by more than $300,000 by the time Hawkins County school board members meet for a budget workshop Thursday.
On Monday, however the Hawkins County Board of Education's Athletic Committee voted to recommend adding three new projects to the proposed 2014-15 budget totaling $17,700.
Among those recommended projects were:
- $8,000 for drainage issues at Bulls Gap School to utilize a frequently flooded field by installing drains, grade work, gravel, and re-sod the field.
- $7,500 to purchase a wrestling mat for Church Hill Middle School.
- $2,200 to buff and coat the surface of the gym floor at Clinch School.
Those projects had been part of a larger list of proposed athletic facility projects totaling $50,000.
Approval of that larger list was defeated by a BOE vote of 3-4 in April.
Those who voted against the complete list of projects expressed concerns about approving new spending before the budget situation was clear.
On June 26 director of schools Steve Starnes reported to the BOE that the proposed 2014-15 budget showed a general purpose fund deficit of $3.687 million; and a deficit in the transportation fund of $795,000.
Starnes told the Athletic Committee Monday that cuts have been made over the past two weeks that reduced the general purpose fund deficit by $151,000; and the transportation fund deficit by $150,000.
"We have made some cuts and were able to shift some expenses over to federal dollars versus local dollars," Starnes said. "We'll have to look at everything and kind of see where we're at."
The BOE is scheduled to meet for a budget workshop Thursday at 5 p.m. at the bus garage meeting room to discuss the proposed 2014-15 budget.
The $17,700 in new athletic projects recommended by the Athletic Committee will also be considered Thursday for inclusion into the budget proposal.
Several athletic facility projects that weren't recommended for approval by the committee Monday including:
- $3,095 for new scoreboard for the CHMS softball field.
- $8,500 to purchase materials and build cubicles for the football field house at Rogersville Middle.
- $2,000 for gravel, stone and sand for the baseball/softball fields at Surgoinsville Middle.
- $2,700 to buff and coat entire surface of gym floor and update two coaches boxes to comply with TSSAA regulations at Surgoinsville Middle.
- $7,525 to purchase a new sound system for the Volunteer high School football stadium.
- $1,600 to purchase foul poles and bull pen wings for the softball field at VHS.
- $3,000 to clean the tennis courts at Cherokee and Volunteer high schools.
- $3,880 to purchase new sound system for Cherokee H.S. gym.
In other business Monday:
- The Athletic Committee voted to accept a donation of $16,000 from an anonymous Rogersville business to refinish and paint the Cherokee High School gym floor.