JACKSBORO, Tenn. — A Tennessee man who was convicted in a fatal school shooting and released from prison earlier this year is facing new charges.
The Knoxville News Sentinel reports 22-year-old Kenneth S. Bartley was arrested Saturday night and was being held Sunday on charges of domestic assault, resisting arrest and escape.
Bartley was convicted this year of reckless homicide for fatally shooting assistant principal Ken Bruce at Campbell County High School in 2005 when he was 14. He was acquitted of two other counts and sentenced to time served.
Before the trial, he spent about eight years in prison due to a plea agreement that was later thrown out because he was a minor when he made the deal, and his parents never consented.
Attorney Gregory Isaacs, who defended Bartley during his trial, said he is investigating Saturday night's incident.
"Both Kenny and his family have been under a tremendous amount of stress as a result of scrutiny from the media and from the general public since the verdict," Isaacs said. "It appears this may be a cry for help with his transition back into society, living at home, trying to re-integrate."
Information from: Knoxville News Sentinel, http://www.knoxnews.comcomments powered by Disqus