This week will mark the end of the series on couponing and saving at big box stores. The “Big Box” stores in our area include Kmart, Walmart, and Target.
One of the biggest perks of shopping at Walmart and Target stores is the ability to do price matching. Instead of running to two or three different stores to get the best prices, you can simply bring the ads and price match at check-out. It can be a big time saver. You can use your printable and mobile coupons on top of the price match.
To simplify the check-out procedure, put regular priced items first, followed by a divider and then all price matched items. Arrange all price matched items according to their store flyers. A great tip to simplify this process is to use hand baskets to divide the transactions. Put each store's deals in a hand basket with the flier. Then, give your coupons to the cashier and scan your mobile coupons.
Remember, price matching must be for a specific advertised price. Walmart does not honor doubling or tripling of items, Internet pricing, percent off, or BOGO advertisements. For more information about Walmart’s price matching guidelines, check out their policy at http://corporate.walmart.com/ad-match-guarantee
• Walmart will accept all manufacturer coupons
• Walmart will accept all scannable, print at home coupons. If a bar code will not scan (for example the printer was low on ink) they may not accept the coupon.
• Walmart’s coupon policy is available at http://corporate.walmart.com/coupon-policy
• Walmart does not double coupons
• Walmart does not match prices after Register Rewards or Extra Care Bucks.
• Walmart does not print out Catalinas, but they do accept Catalinas from other stores
• Walmart does not have a loyalty card or a rewards program
• Walmart does work with Ibotta
• If you shop online, Walmart does work with Ebates (http://www.ebates.com )
• Walmart is one of the precious few stores that still allow for overage. Overage is when a coupon is worth more than the item is priced at. According to Walmart’s policy, the overage can be applied to other items in your cart.
• You can save on gas by buying a Walmart gift card and using the gift card to pay for gas at one of the Walmart gas stations
• Check out their clearance sections to stack with coupons for some great bargains
The downside to couponing at Walmart is that there are not as many opportunities to stack discounts and coupons. There are times when it is cheaper to go other stores, especially if you do not have a printed ad to price match. The positive is that if this is your regular shopping destination you can still save money by couponing, price matching, and using Ibotta. Shop where it works best for you. Every penny counts. Walmart can be a time saver, and they do have great Rollbacks!
Please send all questions, comments, and/or tips to firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to hearing from you!