A review of the most viewed crime stories written by the Times-News staff, for the week of Jan. 31 through Feb. 2.
1) Prosecutor: Forced soda, water consumption led to Hawkins child's death
A Hawkins County couple have been charged with murder for allegedly causing the death of their 5-year-old child in 2012 by forcing her to drink an excessive amount of grape soda and water as punishment.
2) Hawkins County clerk of courts arrested on contempt charge
Hawkins County Clerk of Courts Sarah Davis was arrested Monday evening on a bench warrant issued last week by Sessions Judge J. Todd Ross for contempt of court.
3) Former employee charged with vandalizing business
A former employee of a Sullivan County restaurant has been charged with burglary and vandalism of the restaurant after she broke the glass in a door, according to a press release.
4) Felon flees Lee court between verdict and sentencing
A Southwest Virginia felon is being sought by Lee County authorities after he allegedly faked an illness Friday in order to flee from court.
5) North student arrested after allegedly taking pistol onto school bus, threatening student
A Sullivan County juvenile was arrested after allegedly taking a pistol on his school bus, pointing it at three people and threatening to kill a fellow student.
6) Double stabbing in Mount Carmel attributed to dispute over meth lab proceeds
It took meth lab suspects more than two hours to call 911 Saturday night following a double box-cutter stabbing, and only after a woman attempted, and failed, to sew up a serious cut with a needle and thread.
7) Video: Burglars raid Starbucks inside Kingsport hospital
Kingsport police are searching for a man and woman believed to have burglarized Starbucks in Holston Valley Medical Center, making away with food and beverages.
8) Hawkins man accused of burning baby with cigarettes served with 2-year-old indictment
A Rogersville man accused of burning his girlfriend’s 14-month-old baby with cigarettes in 2010 was returned to Hawkins County on Friday from a Georgia jail to answer an aggravated child abuse charge.
9) ATF, FBI and KPD bomb squad search Hawkins residence for explosives
Federal authorities and the Kingsport Police Department bomb squad converged on a Church Hill neighborhood early Wednesday morning after items suspected to be pipe bombs, and /or pipe bomb making materials were allegedly found in a residence.
10) Former SW Va. police officer charged with impersonating a marshal
A Southwest Virginia man was arrested Wednesday by federal agents for allegedly impersonating a U.S. marshal in order to coerce a woman into performing sexual acts with him.