Kingsport Times News Saturday, December 20, 2014

Local News

Fire causes minor damage at Head Start facility at Duffield school

January 29th, 2014 9:09 pm by Wes Bunch

Fire causes minor damage at  Head Start facility at Duffield school

Firefighters respond to a fire on the Duffield Primary School campus Wednesday. Ned Jilton II photo.

DUFFIELD — An electrical short was to blame for a fire Wednesday afternoon that damaged a Head Start facility at Duffield Primary School.

Crews from the Duffield Volunteer Fire Department were dispatched to the blaze at 663 Duff-Patt Road at approximately 4:45 p.m, Duffield Fire Chief Roger Carter said.

Scott County Public Schools Superintendent John Ferguson said the fire was limited to the school’s Head Start Parent Resource Center, which is located in a separate building on the primary school campus.

Ferguson said the blaze did not impact the school itself or the two Head Start classrooms located there.

According to Carter, the fire was caused by an electrical short in the building’s wall-mounted heating and cooling unit.

The fire reportedly began on the outside of the building near the roof. Carter said Duffield firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze as it began to burn through the wall and make its way inside.

“Our guys were able to get there fast enough to keep things from getting any worse,” Carter said.

Ferguson said the fire burned a hole in the building’s ceiling area, causing some minor structural damage. 

Ferguson had been in contact Wednesday evening with Scott County Head Start Director Cathy Wilcox about the building damage and said he would further survey the damage with administrators today before deciding the next course of action.

“We’ll do whatever it takes to accommodate those kids,” Ferguson said.

Ferguson said he was unsure how instructional time would be affected, especially with class dismissed today due to snow.


comments powered by Disqus