Kingsport Times News Tuesday, September 30, 2014

News Local News

Scott house fire blamed on electrical malfunction

January 18th, 2014 1:09 pm by Wes Bunch

Scott house fire blamed on electrical malfunction

GATE CITY — Scott County authorities said an electrical malfunction was to blame for a fire Friday morning that destroyed a home near Gate City.

Gate City Volunteer Fire Department Chief Jeff Brickey said the fire was reported at about 6:05 a.m. at a home located at 6044 Manville Road northwest of Gate City.

Brickey said crews from both his department and the Duffield Fire and Rescue Squad spent nearly five hours working to bring the fire under control.

A total of five trucks — including two pumpers and a tanker from Gate City and two more trucks from Duffield — were dispatched to fight the blaze.

The occupant of the home was not injured in the fire.

Brickey said firefighters arrived at the scene minutes after receiving the call to find the roof and attic area of the residence involved in flames. Brickey said flames could also be seen coming out of the gabled ends of the home.

The home received extensive damage from the fire, although crews were able to save two rooms from being burned.

“We were able to save two rooms, but the rest of the house was pretty heavily damaged,” Brickey said.

Brickey said the fire department has contacted the Red Cross so it can provide assistance to those impacted by the fire.


comments powered by Disqus