Kingsport Times News Sunday, August 30, 2015

News Local News Police Blotter

Telephone ban fuels teen's knife attack on family

November 27th, 2013 1:05 pm by Rain Smith

Telephone ban fuels teen's knife attack on family

The blotter is derived from recent central dispatch records and incident reports of area police agencies.

Kingsport Police Department

Nov. 21

A man on East Center Street claimed a woman attacked him while he was in the shower, hitting him "with a pole."

Nov. 22.

A woman entered Walmart with a receipt from a previous purchase, placing identical items into her buggy. She then went to the customer service desk and successfully received a refund for the merchandise. Two days later she returned to the store, at which time she was recognized by loss prevention and detained. She was then transported to jail by police and charged with shoplifting.

Nov. 24

During an argument at a residence on Hammond Avenue, a woman allegedly picked up a hammer and told a man, "You're going to leave or you're going to die." She was arrested.

Two officers observed a man "cursing and screaming" at a bouncer at a West Stone Drive bar. Police advised the intoxicated man to leave — even offering to call a cab or friend to come pick him up. He refused, then proceeded to argue that he was fine to drive. At this point he was placed under arrest for public intoxication but attempted to fight with officers and was taken to the ground. He was additionally charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Sullivan County Sheriff's Office

Nov. 22

A "very upset" woman called police after catching her teenage daughter smoking marijuana in their home, telling a dispatcher that she "doesn't know what to do."

Police were alerted to a suspicious, possibly intoxicated man along Bristol Caverns Highway, with the caller saying he was "talking into the trees, looking in ditches."

Nov. 23

Police responded to a hit-and-run incident on Rock Springs Road. Witnesses reported the suspect had swerved her SUV over the center line, striking another vehicle and a guardrail. A deputy located the woman parked in a driveway, noting her pupils were constricted and she "seemed confused." She also had her 11-year-old son as a passenger in the vehicle. After performing poorly on field sobriety tests, she was arrested for DUI, reckless endangerment and leaving the scene of an accident.

Nov. 25

Police were alerted to a motorist shooting a deer from inside his vehicle on Walton Road. The suspect reportedly got out of his truck and went to collect his kill but fled when confronted by witnesses. The witnesses asked a responding officer if they could take the deer, rather then leaving it in the field. A check with the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency confirmed it was OK for them to do so.

A man in a camo jacket was reportedly "bothering an elderly couple" at Walmart.

Hawkins County Sheriff's Office

Nov. 21

A man just released from jail allegedly broke into his niece's Rogersville home. When she found him in the residence, she told him to leave, with her dog following him as he departed. She then accused him of abuse, saying that when her pet returned it was found to have suffered "several injuries to its leg and head."

A Mooresburg woman returned home to find her back door and kitchen window open. She said a jewelry box was missing from a bedroom and contained approximately $20,000 worth of miscellaneous jewelry.

Nov. 22

Police responded to a disturbance on Highway 66, where a resident claimed to have gotten into an argument with his neighbor. The dispute occurred at their mailboxes, with one man allegedly pushing the other down. Both were referred to the clerk's office to pursue private prosecution.

Nov. 25

Officers were called to a Rogersville home after a 14-year-old went berserk over use of the phone. According to her mother, the girl had been banned from making calls after getting in trouble at school but still tried to grab a cell phone. When those attempts were unsuccessful, she retrieved a knife from a kitchen drawer, telling her brother, "I'm going to (expletive) kill you." Her mother then wrested the weapon away and dialed 911. The girl was arrested on two counts of aggravated assault and transferred to a juvenile detention center.

Follow the blotter on Twitter. 

comments powered by Disqus