Kingsport Times News Friday, September 4, 2015
SNEAK PEEK: Take a first look at our new site and tell us what you think. »

News Crime Local News

Theft suspect nabbed after two high speed chases, crash

November 25th, 2013 2:04 pm by Jeff Bobo

Theft suspect nabbed after two high speed chases, crash

Andrew Brandon McCoy

ROGERSVILLE — A Rogersville man allegedly eluded police in two separate high speed chases Friday morning after officers terminated pursuit due to danger to the public.

Moments after the second officer terminated pursuit, however, Andrew Brandon McCoy, 27, 205 Scenic Drive, Rogersville, crashed, and was taken into custody following a foot chase.

Shortly before 11 a.m. Friday Rogersville Police Department Officer Chris Funk received a BOLO (be on the lookout) report for a white Volkswagon Jetta driven by McCoy who was wanted in Cocke County on a felony theft warrant.

Funk stated in his report that he spotted the car southbound on Rt. 66 in Rogersville, and attempted a traffic stop, but the Jetta accelerated and sped south.

Funk said he watched the Jetta cross the center line to pass several cars.

At the Flora Ferry Road intersection the Jetta came to an abrupt stop and a black male passenger exited the car. Funk recognized the male as Eugene Baugh, 36, of Rogersville, who later told Funk that McCoy refused to stop and let him out. Baugh stated he was afraid of being injured and pulled the emergency break to stop the car so he could get out.

After Baugh exited the Jetta continued south on Rt. 66, and turned onto McKinney Chapel Road. Funk paced the Jetta at 80 mph in a 45 mph zone, and terminated the pursuit due to the “reckless” manner McCoy was operating the vehicle.

Hawkins County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Stacy Vaughan received a radio report of the description and direction of McCoy’s vehicle from Funk. 

Vaughan picked up the pursuit after spotting the Jetta blow a stop sign at the intersection of McKinney Chapel road and Burem Road.McCoy turned east on Burem Road, and Vaughan activated blue lights and siren in an attempt to conduct a traffic stop.

Vaughan stated in his report that McCoy crossed the center line to pass two vehicles, and Vaughan said the Jetta was traveling in excess of 80 mph in a 45 mph zone.

“I discontinued my chase at the Webster Valley intersection due to unsafe conditions,” Vaughan said. “I continued east on Burem Road at a normal speed without blue lights or siren. As I approached the intersection of Tarpine Valley road I observed the vehicle had wrecked and was stopped in the middle of Burem Road.”

As Vaughan approached the accident site he reportedly spotted McCoy running through a field about 100 yards away. Following a foot chase and a brief struggle McCoy was taken into custody.

Funk charged McCoy with felony evading arrest, reckless endangerment, reckless driving, speeding and driving left of center.

Vaughan charged McCoy with felony evading arrest, two counts of reckless endangerment, resisting arrest, speeding, driving left of center and stop sign violation.

McCoy was held without bond in the Hawkins County Jail over the weekend pending his arraignment Monday in Sessions court.

comments powered by Disqus