A review of some of the past week's most interesting and important local topics.
* Weber City Elementary principal, Scott schools settle sexual harassment, retaliation suit
A sexual harassment and retaliation lawsuit filed by a Scott County public schools principal against the school board and several of its current and former members was settled out of court this week for an undisclosed amount.
* Eastman breaks ground on new corporate business center
Eastman Chemical Company held a groundbreaking ceremony for its new 300,000-square-foot corporate business center Tuesday, with Gov. Bill Haslam praising Eastman as being the very model of what a corporation should be in a community.
* Rusty Wilkerson: BMA should know better than to subsidize housing for the elite
Once again Kingsport has lost the ongoing battle of the Tri-Cities. We don’t have as many houses that cost $500,000 or, even worse, more than Johnson City!
* Surgoinsville engine builders at top of drag racing universe
It’s been more than four decades since Mike Allen Sr. had a blowout and rolled his souped-up 1967 Chevy Super Sport, landing in his history teacher’s front yard.
* Origins of Halloween: Scholars say holiday has Christian, Celtic roots
According to many scholars, All Hallows’ Eve is a Christianized feast initially influenced by Celtic harvest festivals, with possible pagan roots, particularly the Gaelic festival of Samhain.
* Hawkins County authorities probe possible link between fatal fire, car arsons
Hawkins County detectives are trying to determine if a Sunday arson involving two vehicles in a rural area north of Rogersville is connected to a suspicious fire that took the life of a Morristown man and his grandson early Saturday.
* Teachers union rep faces embezzlement charge
A Wise County teacher and past president of the Wise County Education Association, the local affiliate of the Virginia Education Association and National Education Association, retains the confidence of the Wise County school division and will remain in her classroom following last week's indictment on a charge of embezzling money from the teachers union.