A look at upcoming events throughout the region.
• The bands of King University will present “Shadows and Light” at 7:30 p.m., Friday at the Paramount Center for the Arts in downtown Bristol. The concert will feature the King University Symphonic Band and the 250 Jazz Ensemble. Admission is $5 for the general public and free with a King University ID. For more information, call Lonny Finley at 652-6332 or email email@example.com.
• John McCutcheon will perform at 7 p.m., Saturday at the Kingsport Center for Higher Education auditorium as part of King College’s Buechner Institute’s 2013-14 lecture series. Tickets are $10 at the door. For more information, call Dale Brown at 652-4156 or visit www.buechnerinstitute.org.
• Music written for the cornet à pistons will be highlighted by East Tennessee State University’s Dr. David Champouillon in a free public recital at 7:30 p.m., Saturday at First Presbyterian Church, 105 S. Boone St., Johnson City. Champouillon is a professor of trumpet and jazz in the ETSU College of Arts and Sciences’ Department of Music. For more information, call 439-4276 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• NWA Smoky Mountain Wrestling will return to the Kingsport Civic Auditorium on Saturday with its “Morgan Memorial 2013 — The Fight for Zac” event. Doors open at 7:15 p.m., with an 8 p.m. bell time. SMW will donate half of the money from the gate to the American Cancer Society in the name of Chris Morgan, who passed away from cancer four years ago. The other half will go toward Zac Vincent’s medical bills for his upcoming brain surgery. Front-row tickets are $15; general admission is $10. Six matches have been signed for the event, including a six-man, tag-team grudge match.
• Southern States Wrestling will return to action with its annual “Fall Spectacular” event on Sunday at the Armed Forces Reserve Center (Armory) in Mount Carmel. Bell time is 6 p.m. The event celebrates 30 years of the Rock-n-Roll Express with Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson and the King of Kingsport Beau James’ 25 years in professional wrestling. The main event will be Morton and Gibson defending the North American Tag Team Titles against Frank “The Tank” Parker and Scott Sterling, the current SSW Tag Team champions. VIP tickets are available at Ever More Comics in Kingsport; general admission seating goes on sale at 4:30 p.m. the day of the event.
• “An Evening with C.S. Lewis” will be held at 7:30 p.m., Sunday at the Paramount Center for the Arts in downtown Bristol. British actor David Payne’s production offers a look inside the life of a man whose collected works made him one of the literary giants of the 20th century. Tickets range from $29 to $44 and are available by calling 274-8920 or online at www.etix.com.