Kingsport Times News Friday, October 24, 2014

News Local News

Barn fire kills 150 chickens in Hawkins County

October 28th, 2013 8:04 pm by Jeff Bobo

Barn fire  kills 150 chickens in Hawkins County

ROGERSVILLE — Heating lamps are being blamed for a barn fire early Friday  that caused an estimated $35,000 in damage,  including killing 150 chickens.

Shortly after 6:30 a.m. Friday,  firefighters from Striggersville, Stanley Valley and Lakeview were dispatched to a barn fire at 385 Sulphur Springs Road in the Pressmens Home community north of Rogersville.

Property owner John Malayter told Hawkins County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Keith Long that his wife looked outside at about  6:30 a.m. and observed flames coming from the barn.

“The fire quickly spread, destroying the barn and all the contents inside,” Long stated in his report. “Mr. Malayter feels certain the fire started due to heat lamps inside the barn that were providing heat for the chickens.”

The contents of the barn that were destroyed included several bales of hay, 150 chickens, a John Deere riding mower, large quantities of feed, heat lamps, various tools and other items to be inventoried later.

Read more in Tuesday's print edition of the Times-News or in the expanded electronic edition.

comments powered by Disqus