The most viewed crime stories written by the Times-News staff, for the week of Oct. 18 through Oct. 25.
1) Kingsport man faces child sex charge
A Kingsport man has been charged with rape of a child, allegedly plying the victim with promises of pennies and candy, then threatening physical harm if anyone was told about the incident.
2) Police: Kingsport man accidentally shoots girlfriend, both charged
Claims of a shooting during a robbery attempt have backfired on a Kingsport couple, according to police, as the woman was actually shot in the buttocks while her boyfriend was "playing" with a gun.
3) Teens nabbed allegedly trading pills in pharmacy parking lot moments after filling prescription
Less than 10 minutes after launching a new pharmacy parking lot surveillance program Monday night Hawkins County narcotics detectives observed their first alleged illegal drug transaction.
4) Man allegedly used woman’s text message to set up ambush for rival suitor
A Hawkins County man allegedly used a woman’s cell phone to ambush a rival male suitor by inviting him over on the pretense of an early morning romantic rendezvous via text message, and then opening fire on him.
5) Gate City woman accused of falsely reporting stabbing to cover up son's involvement in burglaries
Charges are pending against a Southwest Virginia woman who Scott County authorities said falsely reported last week she was stabbed during a home invasion in an effort to cover up alleged burglaries her son and his friend carried out in their neighborhood.
6) KPD release video, pictures from theft
Kingsport police hope the public can help identify the suspects in a recent theft, releasing video and photos taken by an individual at a neighboring property.
7) Two 16-year-olds arrested in D-B burglary, vandalism
Kingsport police arrested two juvenile males Friday for their alleged roles in a burglary and vandalism that occurred Thursday at Dobyns-Bennett High School.
8) Kingsport drug suspects charged with child abuse
A young child was located in the residence on a dirty, bare mattress with no sheets, while his mother allegedly admitted to breastfeeding her infant while high.
9) Kingsport police nab woman accused of car theft, using stolen debit card
A Kingsport woman who allegedly stole a car last week and then ran up an $1,100 bill at the Stone Drive Walmart using the victim’s debit card was arrested Friday at that same Walmart with a shopping cart full of merchandise
10) Suspect charged in felony theft from elderly woman
Police have charged a Kingsport woman with stealing more than $10,000 in jewelry, saying she took the items while visiting an elderly woman's home.