TALLADEGA, Ala. — Authorities have identified a Tennessee man who died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in his motorhome at Talladega Superspeedway.
Talladega County Deputy Coroner Larry Seals said 46-year-old Craig Morgan of Murfreesboro was found dead in his motorhome near the racetrack on Saturday afternoon.
Morgan’s wife was taken to UAB Hospital. According to WKRN in Nashville, she remained in critical condition Monday.
Friends accompanying the couple to the race found them unresponsive inside the motorhome, Sheriff Jimmy Kilgore said.
Seals told WBRC-TV in Birmingham, Ala., the couple was likely using a gas stove for heat and there was a problem with the generator’s exhaust system.