Kingsport Times News Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Regional & National NASCAR/Racing

NASCAR fan from Tennessee dies of suspected gas leak at Talladega

October 20th, 2013 2:12 pm by Associated Press

NASCAR fan from Tennessee dies of suspected gas leak at Talladega

TALLADEGA, Ala. — Talladega County authorities say a suspected carbon monoxide leak has killed a Tennessee man who was camping out for a NASCAR race.

Sheriff Jimmy Kilgore says friends of the man and his wife found the couple unresponsive inside their motor home at the Talladega Superspeedway on Saturday afternoon.

Deputy Coroner Larry Seals says the couple was likely using a gas stove for heat and there was a problem with the generator's exhaust system. Authorities found the man dead when they arrived, and his wife has been hospitalized in Birmingham. The man's identity has not yet been released.

The man is at least the second racing fan to die while camping out near the track this year. In early May a Georgia man accidentally drowned in a creek near the track.


comments powered by Disqus