Kingsport Times News Thursday, September 3, 2015
SNEAK PEEK: Take a first look at our new site and tell us what you think. »

News Local News

Sullivan County authorities identify suspect shot, killed by deputies

October 12th, 2013 9:10 pm by Wes Bunch

Sullivan County authorities identify suspect shot, killed by deputies

BRISTOL, Tenn. — Sullivan County authorities released the identity Saturday afternoon of a Bristol man who was fatally shot the night before by officers investigating an active methamphetamine lab.

The suspect was identified as Kenneth Ray Clark, 47, Windsor Avenue, Bristol, Tenn.

According to the Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office, Clark was wanted on warrants for a probation violation. Clark also reportedly had outstanding warrants in Bristol, Va.

The incident occurred around 7:20 p.m. Friday at a residence located at 2504 Bay St. in Bristol, Tenn.

Officers with the SCSO Vice and Narcotics Unit and 2nd Judicial District Drug Task Force were dispatched to the residence after receiving a report of an active meth lab located in an outbuilding behind the home.

When officers arrived, they reportedly found Clark and an unidentified female sitting in a vehicle.

As officers approached, the female passenger was reportedly forced out of the vehicle and Clark fled the scene.

SCSO spokeswoman Leslie Earhart said officers fired their weapons at Clark when he attempted to run them over as he was driving off.

Clark then drove to a home located on Randolph Street in Bristol, Va., where he was located a short time later. Emergency crews transported Clark to Bristol Regional Medical Center, where he died.

As with any officer-involved shooting, Earhart said, the incident is under investigation by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.

Earhart said officers did locate an active meth lab in the outbuilding behind the Bay Street home.

The meth operation’s contents were neutralized at the scene before being disposed of by the Tennessee Methamphetamine Task Force.

The Bristol, Tenn., Police Department and Fire Department assisted in the cleanup.

comments powered by Disqus