Kingsport Times News Thursday, September 3, 2015
SNEAK PEEK: Take a first look at our new site and tell us what you think. »

News Crime Local News

4-year-old boy claims his father burned him with cigarettes

October 7th, 2013 3:45 pm by Jeff Bobo

4-year-old boy claims his father burned him with cigarettes

CHURCH HILL — The Hawkins County Sheriff’s Office is investigating allegations that a four-year-old Kingsport boy was burned with cigarettes during visitation with his father last week near Church Hill.

As of Monday afternoon no charges had been filed, and the Times-News will withhold the names of all parties pending completion of the investigation.

The HCSO became involved Wednesday night after the mother took the four-year-old child to the Indian Path Medical Center in Kingsport due to marks found on his body.

The mother told HCSO Deputy Stacy Vaughan she picked the boy up from his father’s house in the Goshen Valley Community of Hawkins County around 8 p.m. that night.

At that time the father reportedly showed the mother marks on the boy’s body and accused the mother or someone she knew of abusing the boy.

“After (the mom) brought (the boy) home she further inspected the marks on (the boy’s) body and realized they were not there when she dropped him off two days prior,” Vaughan stated in his report. “(The mother asked the boy) what caused the marks and he stated to her that his daddy did it to him.”

That’s when the mother brought the boy to Indian Path for an examination.

Vaughan said emergency room staff examined the boy and determined that his wounds “seemed to have been caused by a cigarette.”

Vaughan stated that he personally observed four marks on the boy, three of which appeared to be burns.

“While talking with (the boy) he stated his daddy burned him with a cigarette,” Vaughan said. “(The boy) had burn marks above his knee, left side of his belly, and left forearm. (The boy) also had a scrape on his left elbow.”

HCSO Detective Cliff Evens and Department of Children’s Services case worker Chris Franklin also responded to the hospital to take over the investigation.

comments powered by Disqus