A review of the most viewed crime stories written by the Times-News staff, for the week of Sept. 13 through Sept. 20.
1) Two arrested, two still sought in Kingsport hit and run
Police are searching for the occupants of a car that spurred a four-vehicle collision Friday afternoon, while two acquaintances accused of driving them from the scene have been arrested.
2) Brother, sister face multiple charges after stop at Gate City checkpoint
A brother and sister were arrested on multiple felony charges at a safety checkpoint late last week after Gate City police allegedly found drugs and weapons in their possession.
3) Man accused of beating girlfriend because she was mourning her daughter
A Rogersville woman told police her boyfriend beat her up Wednesday night because he was tired of her talking about the death of her 25-year-old daughter, who passed away Sept. 13 following a long illness.
4) KPD: Bath salts, pills, pot found in city home
A Kingsport man has been arrested on four felony drug charges after a search of his residence on Thursday night.
5) Ultimate Smoke conspirator who cooperated with police avoids jail time
A Washington County man, who assisted the owner of the Ultimate Smoke shop in Kingsport, will not face prison time for his involvement in the business, mainly due to his substantial cooperation with law enforcement during the investigation of the case.
6) Former Lee High assistant soccer coach pleads guilty to improper relationship with student
A former Lee County assistant girls soccer coach and guidance counselor was forced to give up his teaching license and resign from his job after pleading guilty recently to charges that he had an improper sexual relationship with an underage student.
7) Former Hawkins jailer charged with assault on inmate
A former Hawkins County jailer was arraigned in Rogersville Wednesday on one count of misdemeanor assault for allegedly pushing an inmate face first into a jail door in February.
8) Man lying in roadway with gun not charged with DUI despite confession
A Bean Station man allegedly found lying in the road unconscious near a loaded pistol and his pickup truck was charged Friday morning with public intoxication and a weapon charge.
9) Church Hill DUI suspect blames Sunday arrest on 'Friday'
A Hawkins County man arrested for driving under the influence of drugs Sunday night admitted that he was a little “twisted” and blamed his behavior on the fact that it was “Friday.”
10) Man who allegedly chased girlfriend around house in car faces drug charges
A Hawkins County deputy responding to a domestic assault complaint early Sunday morning allegedly followed the male suspect back to the victim’s residence and observed him flee into the house carrying a pot plant.