Kingsport Times News Sunday, November 23, 2014
News Local News Regional & National

Dozens of Washington County inmates sickened by carbon monoxide leak

June 23rd, 2013 7:53 pm by Becky Campbell, Johnson City Press

Dozens of Washington County inmates sickened by carbon monoxide leak

A cell pod as seen through security area at WCDC. (Press file photo/Tony Duncan)

More than two dozen Washington County Detention Center inmates were sickened early Saturday morning after a malfunctioning gas-powered water heater sent carbon monoxide through the ventilation into two cell blocks, a sheriff’s office official confirmed.

Leighta Laitinen, spokesperson for the sheriff’s office, said the incident caused officials to realize there is no carbon monoxide detector system installed at the jail. She said sheriff’s office staff will meet Monday to discuss why there are no alarms and the steps needed to get them.

“We had a carbon monoxide scare at the jail (Saturday) morning,” Laitinen said. “We had to send one inmate to the hospital, but he returned in a few hours.”

Read the full report on the Johnson City Press website.


comments powered by Disqus