Chad Ogle of Sevierville celebrates in victory lane at Volunteer Speedway Saturday night after winning the Southern Regional Racing Series Summer Shootout 40.
BULLS GAP — Sevierville racer Chad Ogle took home the trophy and $3,000 Saturday night after winning the Southern Shootout 40 in the Southern Regional Racing Series’ inaugural visit to Volunteer Speedway.
Noted race engine builder Vic Hill was driving a fast car but misfortune cost him what appeared would be a flag-to-flag victory. Hill suddenly slowed with a broken rear end on lap 34, and Ogle moved into the lead and drove to Victory Lane in the caution-free 40-lap event.
“Hey, tonight definitely proved that it’s never over until the checkered flag waves,” the 37-year-old Ogle said. "Some people will say, ‘Oh, you got lucky to win’ and I’ll admit we caught a lucky break. Because there’s no doubt about it, Vic had the race won if not for the rear-end trouble sidelining him. But I believe we were due to have some good luck on our side.
“Dating back to the end of last season we had our engine blow, and we’re just a family-owned race team and losing our motor definitely set us back financially over the offseason. We didn’t even get to start racing this year until a little over a month ago. ...
“Getting this win is great, because no matter how you look at it, a win is a win," he added. "We’re definitely taking it and hopefully this will be just the first of several good races for us as the season progresses.”
Jerry Broyles of Jonesborough, the 2009 Fastrak Racing Series-sanctioned Pro Late Model track champion, jumped into the lead at the start of the 25-lap feature and sailed to his first victory of the season. Jamie Whitt of Wise took the win in the 20-lap Modified Hobby feature.
Southern Regional Racing Series
Summer Shootout 40
(With finish position, starting position in parentheses, driver name, car number, hometown, money earned)
1. (4) Chad Ogle #10-Sevierville, TN $3,000
2. (8) Scott James #1g-Bright, IN $1,500
3. (1) Ryan King #30-Seymour, TN $900
4. (7) Mark Vineyard #4-Powell, TN $800
5. (3) Bryan Hendrix #5-Knoxville, TN $700
6. (5) Stacy Boles #11B-Clinton, TN $600
7. (10) Jamie Oliver #38-Murphy, NC $575
8. (12) Josh Henry #25-Newport, TN $550
9. (13) Jason Welshan #29-Maryville, TN $525
10. (9) Jeff Neubert #86-Rockford, TN $500
11. (2) Vic Hill #1-Mosheim, TN $400
12. (11) Travis Greer #11g-Marion, VA $390
13. (16) Stanley Donahoo #00-White Pine, TN $380
14. (15) Mike Luna #112-Sparta, TN $370
15. (14) Gabe Wilson #12w-Waynesville, NC $360
16. (6) Josh Putnam #212-Killen, AL $350
Pro Late Model (25 laps)
1) Jerry Broyles #72; 2) Tim Byrd #24; 3) Dale Ball #2; 4) Ricky Moore #75; 5) Todd Brooks #T1; 6) Tim Maupin #T2; 7) Greg Burchett #5g; 8) Brent Hensley #70; 9) Mike Kelley #X; 10) Andy Ogle #68; 11) Richard Adkins #73; 12) Wes Johnson #57j; 13) Bobby Mays #19; 14) John Tweed #5 – Did Not Start: Ricky Presley #17; Hugh Scalf #56
Modified Hobby (20 laps)
1) Jamie Whitt #1; 2) Jesse Helton #28; 3) Jon Cook #0z; 4) Mike Mays #30; 5) Clynis Phillips #46; 6) Jesse Wilder #79; 7) Landon Williams #25w