TriCityMom - Hot Topics
By Barry Brickey
Grilling out is a part of our family activities. I grill out all year around. But many people will fire up the grill soon because the warm weather is here. Grilling can be very dangerous, ESPN Anchor Hannah Storm recently had a very terrify grilling accident a received some severe burns. Hannah encourages other so be safe, Hannah Storm's Story.
The National Fire Protection Association has some great tips on keeping your family safe: Fire in the grill, under hot dogs and burgers, is a welcome sight at the family cookout. But fire anywhere else can make your summer vacation kick-off barbecue memorable for all the wrong reasons.
Check the gas tank hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year. Apply a light soap and water solution to the hose. A propane leak will release bubbles. If your grill has a gas leak, by smell or the soapy bubble test, and there is no flame, turn off the gas tank and grill. If the leak stops, get the grill serviced by a professional before using it again. If the leak does not stop, call the fire department. If you smell gas while cooking, immediately get away from the grill and call the fire department. Do not move the grill.
Grilling facts from NFPA
Be sure to use safe grilling practices as the peak months for grilling fires approach – June and July. Gas grills constitute a higher risk, having been involved in an annual average of 7,100 home fires in 2006-2010, while charcoal or other solid-fueled grills were involved in an annual average of 1,200 home fires.-source www.nfpa.org
To find out more about Grilling and Cooking Safety please contact Barry Brickey, the Public Education Officer for the Kingsport Fire Department, at 423-224-2820 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Barry is a husband and father from Kingsport, TN and a former radio and Children’s program host. He has been a youth minister for over 18 years and enjoys spending time with his family and watching the Tennessee Vols
comments powered by Disqus