The most viewed crime stories written by the Times-News staff, for the week of May 10th through the 17th.
1) Hawkins County mother faces child neglect charges
Two children ages 3 and 6 were removed from a Mount Carmel home last week after police allegedly found unhealthy living conditions — including bugs, maggots, rotting food, trash and dirty diapers
2) Man in fair condition after being shot at Kingsport apartments
Detectives are investigating a Tuesday night shooting at a Kingsport apartment complex, where the victim was found with multiple gunshot wounds and a large amount of crack cocaine was allegedly located in a refrigerator.
3) Police: Child crashes into Kingsport house when babysitters let her drive
A Kingsport couple face multiple charges after allegedly letting an 11-year-old they were babysitting drive a vehicle on city streets, eventually crashing into a home.
4) 5-year-old allegedly beaten for playing with step-dad’s iPod
Thursday night Hawkins County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Gary Lawson responded to 485 Ridge Road in Bulls Gap where he reportedly observed numerous bruises on the child’s face, back, arm and rear end.
5) SW Va. man arrested on child rape charge
The suspect, Charles Edward Burke, 57, 382 Justice Lane, Duffield, was arrested Monday on a single count of rape of a child under 18 years old.
6) Woman leads police on search for bogus Kingsport 'bombs'
It's not a good idea to fabricate stories when speaking to police — especially if you're already booked into jail for stealing a rental vehicle. But if you really want to up the ante, throw in claims of planting bombs across two separate counties in Northeast Tennessee.
7) Escaped convict captured in Kingsport
A man who escaped from a medium to minimum security correctional facility in Kentucky more than two years ago has been apprehended in Kingsport, with federal authorities saying he also faces burglary charges in Washington County, Tenn.
8) Traffic stop in Scott County results in arrest of three on drug charges
Three people were arrested on drug charges in Scott County on Saturday after a Gate City police officer pulled a truck over for having a taillight out.
9) Police: Rogersville men caught red-handed with stolen lawn equipment
Two men who allegedly stole a weed-eater and leaf blower out of a work truck Wednesday afternoon in Rogersville were arrested about an hour later carrying the equipment a few blocks away.
10) Attempted home intruder allegedly high on bath salts had two large knives
A Mount Carmel man was allegedly high on bath salts when he attempted to break into a woman’s home with two large bowie knives early Sunday morning.