(Randall Perry pictures: John Harrell of Surgoinsville celebrates his mother's 82nd birthday and his third Street Stock feature win of the year Friday night at Kingsport Speedway. Zeke Shell of Johnson City is all smiles in Victory Lane at Kingsport Speed
KINGSPORT — Zeke Shell found his way to victory lane at Kingsport Speedway for the second week in a row, winning Friday’s 60-lap NASCAR Whelen All-American Late Model feature over polesitter Paul Nogradi Jr.
After starting fifth, Shell passed leader Kres VanDyke on lap 37 and survived one last restart to secure the win. Nogradi finished second while Ryan Stiltner, VanDyke and Lee Tissot rounded out the top five.
Shell said he was able to win for the second week in a row because his crew didn’t let the celebration of last week’s win bleed over into this week.
“Wow, winning two in a row is just an awesome feeling,” he said. “Even though we got our first win of the season last Friday, that didn’t mean we just sat back and celebrated all week and didn’t work on the car.
“As a matter of fact, we were in the shop the next day on Saturday checking the car over from the previous night.”
Chad Finchum, Daniel Pope, Tyler Goodwin and Derrick Lancaster completed the top 10.
In other action, John Harrell secured his third win of the season in the Street Stock race. Harrell jumped out front and led all 30 laps of the event, which unfolded without a caution.
Jared Broadbent finished second in the Pure 4 feature and Nick Cole, Royce Peters and Rob Austin completed the top five.
John Ketron earned his second win of the 2013 campaign in the Street Stock feature, beating Keith Helton, Chris Neeley, Kenny Absher and Billy Ketron to the finish line. Brandon Sutherland also notched his second victory of the season in the Rookie Pure 4 race.
Derek Lane won an exciting 15-lap Legends race. Jacob Owens and Zack Walton were battling for the lead in the closing laps, but the two drivers got together and Lane shot past them to take the checkered flag.
Friday, April 12 Results
NASCAR Whelen All-American Series
Dalton Direct Carpets Late Model (60 laps)
1. Zeke Shell #97; 2. Paul Nogradi Jr. #02; 3. Ryan Stiltner #22; 4. Kres VanDyke #15; 5. Lee Tissot #27; 6. Chad Finchum #19; 7. Daniel Pope II #16; 8. Tyler Goodwin #64; 9. Derrick Lancaster #25; 10. Austin Peters #66; 11. Kyle Barnes #15; 12. Joey Trent #26; 13. Allen Hawkins #76; 14. Dean Barrett #82; 15. Rick Pannell #33; 16. Hayden Woods #87; 17. Erika Schmidt #14.
Street Stock (30 laps)
1. John Harrell #19; 2. Jared Broadbent #74; 3. Nick Cole #63; 4. Royce Peters #48; 5. Rob Austin #25; 6. Chris Tunnell #6; 7. Sam Hurd #11; 8. Tony Ward #7; 9. Jeff Counts #11; 10. Kirby Gobble #3.
Pure 4 (25 laps)
1. John Ketron #26; 2. Keith Helton #9; 3. Chris Neeley #94; 4. Kenny Absher #11; 5. Billy Ketron #27; 6. Dylan Bates #6; 7. Darby Fleenor #66; 8. Derek Penley #38; 9. David Trent #57; 10. Tim Abelseth #96; 11. Steve Skeen #17; 12. Bill Coleman #15; 13. Todd Cross #41; 14. Shawn Peters #84; 15. Jimmy Hillard #74; 16. Jason Ketron #28.
Rookie Pure 4 (15 laps)
1. Brandon Sutherland #22; 2. Billy Byington #11x; 3. Billy Taylor #75; 4. Mook Jeter #53; 5. Bruce Crumbley #8; 6. Jon Pittman #96; 7. Tammy Cross #41; 8. Sam Manis II #06; 9. Jonathan Skeen #17; 10. Tony Marshall #27
Legends (15 laps)
1. Derek Lane #9; 2. Jacob Owens #8; 3. Zack Walton #38; 4. Trey Lane #28
(Randall Perry pictures: John Harrell of Surgoinsville celebrates his mother's 82nd birthday and his third Street Stock feature win of the year Friday night at Kingsport Speedway. Zeke Shell of Johnson City is all smiles in Victory Lane at Kingsport Speedway after recording his second straight NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Late Model Stock win of the season.)