GATE CITY — A Scott County grand jury indicted four Tennessee men Monday on charges of malicious wounding by a mob for their alleged roles in the alleged beating of another man at a local bar on New Year’s Eve.
The men were among 25 people indicted on a total of 43 total charges by the grand jury, which was the first convened for 2013.
Facing charges of malicious wounding by a mob are Thomas Jeff Clendenin and Douglas Nelson McDavid, both of Church Hill, and Kingsport residents Johnny Franklin Fugate and Tony W. Mullenix.
According to the Scott County Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office, the incident occurred early in the morning on New Year’s Day at the J&K State Line Bar and Grill in Weber City.
“There were four people that were all involved in what I would classify as a beating of this one individual,” Scott County Commonwealth’s Attorney Marcus McClung said.
McClung said authorities were not sure what caused the incident, which was reportedly captured on security cameras at the State Line.
Authorities who saw the tape said the men “pummeled” the victim, who appeared not to fight back or show aggression on the video.
The alleged victim in the case was reportedly transported to an area hospital following the incident for treatment of his injuries.
McClung said the four suspects in the case had varying degrees of involvement in the case.
“You just have to be part of the mob and in some way encourage or aid to be convicted of malicious wounding,” McClung said. “You don’t have to throw a punch.”
McClung declined to comment on which of the four men was the primary instigator in the alleged beating.
Also indicted by Monday’s grand jury were:
• Harriet Cornett, Pennington Gap, larceny, writing bad checks.
• Christina Nichole Ford, Russellville, Tenn., two counts of forgery.
• Curtis Lee Mullins, Nickelsville, breaking and entering and grand larceny.
• Michael Scott Albright, Duffield, abduction by force, malicious wounding.
• William Charles Burnett Jr., Knoxville, distribution of a schedule IV drug.
• Misty Ann Dowell, Sarasota, Fla., possession of schedule I or II drug.
• Ricky Lynn Harber, Fort Blackmore, two counts of breaking and entering, grand larceny.
• Shawn David Hect, Duffield, two counts of breaking and entering, grand larceny.
• Carl Edward Keith, Nickelsville, two counts of breaking and entering, grand larceny.
• James Albert Lambert, Kingsport, four counts of abuse of child/disregard for life.
• Randy Glen Murphy, Gate City, shooting firearm from vehicle.
• Dustin Wayne McDavid, Duffield, breaking and entering, grand larceny.
• Kevin Douglas Reese, Alexandria, Va., distribution of Schedule IV, distribution of Schedule I/II.
• Ricky Ray Rhoton Jr., Fort Blackmore, breaking and entering, grand larceny.
• Tracy Adam Rogers, Gate City, abuse of family member — 3rd offense.
• George Donald Selleck, Weber City, failure to stop for accident, driving on a suspended license.
• Roger James “Skeeter” Smith, Nickelsville, two counts of breaking and entering, grand larceny.
• Christopher Lee Sons, Gate City, DWI third offense.
• Howard Lee Wallace, Jonesville, receipt of stolen goods, false swearing and grand larceny.
• Brandon Ray Wallen, Gate City, distribution of Schedule III nonsteroid drug.
• Creed Eugene “Cruddy” Webb, Big Stone Gap, DWI third offense.