Kingsport Times News Thursday, April 24, 2014
Local News

Friends help rescue woman from Elizabethton house fire

January 22nd, 2013 11:01 pm by JOHN THOMPSON, Johnson City Press

ELIZABETHTON — Two friends of a 90-year-old woman helped evacuate her to safety when a fire broke out in her Orchard Road Extension home on Tuesday afternoon and a quick response by the Elizabethton Fire Department prevented the fire in the attic of the guest quarters from spreading to the main part of the woman’s home.


The fire broke out around 4 p.m. at the residence of Evelyn Elmer, a retired sociology professor from East Tennessee State University. Her friends, Ed and Jan Peters had just come by the home because a light in a bathroom was not working and they were asked to see what was wrong.


As they walked to the bathroom, Jan said they could smell a slight odor of smoke. When he checked the recessed light over a shower, Ed discovered it was hot. He warned everyone to stand back, that he was going to pull the fixture out of the ceiling. He then discovered there were flames in the ceiling.


Read the full story on the Johnson City Press website.

comments powered by Disqus