Kingsport Times News Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Local News

Electrical fires damage two Kingsport homes

December 22nd, 2012 9:40 pm by Rick Wagner

KINGSPORT — Two electrical fires damaged city houses Saturday but resulted in no injuries, a fire official said.


Kingsport Deputy Fire Chief Jim Everhart said the first fire, at 1105 Fairview St., occurred about noon from an electrical outlet in the attic area, based on a preliminary fire marshal’s investigation.


Everhart said the second fire, called in shortly after 5:30 p.m. from 1446 Willow St., was from an electrical outlet on the back wall near the attic, according to a preliminary investigation.


The Fairview fire was contained mostly to the attic, he said, while the Willow fire damaged the attic and caused more smoke and water damage to the living area, and the kitchen ceiling was damaged in fighting the fire.


He said both houses are repairable but temporarily uninhabitable and that the American Red Cross has found temporary housing for residents of both homes.


With the recent cold snap and night temperatures dipping into the teens and 20s, Everhart urged residents be sure all their smoke alarms work. He also said residents should not hesitate to call 911 if they suspect a fire or smell smoke.


The Willow fire call came in as a light haze of smoke downstairs but had engulfed part of the attic by the time firefighters arrived in the house near Borden Park, Everhart said.


“The heaters are working harder than they have so far this season,” he said.


comments powered by Disqus