Wellmont Health System’s Marsh Regional Blood Center will conduct public blood drives at the following locations in the coming days:
- Wednesday, Dec. 26, 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Franklin Woods Community Hospital, Johnson City
- Thursday, Dec. 27, noon-7:30 p.m., Holston Valley Medical Center, Kingsport
-Thursday, Dec. 27, 1-6 p.m., First United Methodist Church, Elizabethton
- Thursday, Dec. 27, 1-6 p.m., Food City, Pennington Gap, Va.
- Friday, Dec. 28, 7:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Holston Valley Medical Center, Kingsport
- Friday, Dec. 28, 1-5 p.m., Pioneer Chevrolet, Abingdon, Va.
- Friday, Dec. 28, 2-6:30 p.m., Serco, Clintwood, Va.
As many as three lives may be saved each time a person donates blood – and an individual’s blood donation to Marsh Regional stays local to help people in this region. Marsh Regional supplies blood to 22 healthcare facilities in Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.
Donors with O-negative blood types are particularly welcome, as their blood can be used for any patient.
Blood donations are especially important during the holiday season, as many regular donors go on vacation or are caught up in festivities. However, the need for blood to treat illnesses and injuries does not slow down during this time of year.
College and high school students who organize blood drives from Dec. 21-Jan. 5 are eligible to win Marsh Regional’s $500 Holiday Heroes scholarship. All donors who give from Dec. 26-Jan. 5 will be entered to win a flat screen television.
To donate blood, individuals must be at least 17 years old, weigh 110 pounds or more and be in good health. People with a cold, sore throat, fever, flu or fever blisters or who are taking antibiotics may not donate. Donors should eat a balanced meal before giving blood.
For more information about scheduling a blood drive at a local business, church, school or community organization, please call 423-224-5888 or visit www.marshblood.com.comments powered by Disqus