BLOUNTVILLE — A probe of nearly $730,000 worth of gold, silver and guns reported missing from a Sullivan County home has prompted felony theft charges against a man who once worked for the victim and shared his residence.
A Sullivan County grand jury on Tuesday indicted Michael Ray McLeod, 55, on one count each of theft of $60,000 or more, a Class B felony, and theft of $10,000 or more, a Class C felony. Court records list McLeod’s address as the Washington County Detention Center.
The indictments allege McLeod stole “kilo-size gold bars” from his former employer between April 2010 and September 2011 and stole the “silver and gold coins and handguns” on or about February 2011.
In an Oct. 27, 2011, affidavit, Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office Detective John Porter states the victim contacted the sheriff’s office upon discovering 12 “kilo-size gold bars” valued at $719,588 and “several” silver coins and two guns valued at over $10,000 missing from his safe.
The affidavit states the homeowner reported he had previously allowed McLeod to move into his residence, and he had paid McLeod $350 a week to do “small jobs” around the house, noting that he had “done a good job.” He advised McLeod “quit and left” sometime in 2010.
The homeowner reported he had checked his safe upon learning that McLeod had been arrested for “several” burglaries in Johnson City.
McLeod was interviewed by investigators, and he allegedly admitted taking the gold bars in 2010 and to returning and taking “silver coins, gold coin and a handgun” in February 2011.
An investigation revealed 359 silver dollars were sold to Town and Country in Roanoke, Va., and one gold coin was sold at Lilly’s on Fort Henry Drive in Kingsport.
Others indicted Tuesday and their charges include:
• Richard Ray Horton, 73, 1277 Shipley Ferry Road, Blountville, theft over $1,000, driving on suspended license.
• Robert Aaron Walker, 33, 1209 Ridgecrest Ave., Kingsport, auto burglary, theft over $500.
• Robert Lee Puckett, 34, 1035 Gravely Road, Lot 8, Kingsport, and Darrell Lynn Puckett, 26, 1035 Gravely Road, Lot 9, Kingsport, burglary and theft over $1,000 (two counts each).
• Ralph Edward Cross, 32, 1904 E. Myrtle Ave., Jonesborough, introduction of contraband into a penal institution.
• Alicia Colleen Woods, 28, 185 Second St., Bristol, Va., identity theft, theft $500 or less, fraudulent use of a credit card.
• Carl Edward Jones, 44, 2004 Sweetbriar Road, Kingsport, possession of a Schedule II controlled substance, failure to provide proof of financial responsibility, violation of habitual traffic offender order, violation of light law.
• Brian David Williams, 35, 446 Horton Highway, Fall Branch, theft over $1,000.
• Allen W. Hale Jr., 32, 188 Bancroft Chapel Road, Lot 13, Kingsport, possession of a Schedule VI controlled substance (marijuana) for resale, possession of Schedule III controlled substance (buprenorphine) for delivery or sale, possession of Schedule IV controlled substance (alprazolam) for delivery or sale, possession of drug paraphernalia, reckless driving.
• Rhonda Wilson Bradley, 39, 405 Claremont Road, Kingsport, theft over $1,000.
• Gary Michael White, 1372 Kings Meadow Private Drive, No. 98, Kingsport, aggravated robbery.
• Jeffery Brian Crawford, 27, 1644 Forest View Road, Lot 6, Kingsport, theft over $1,000.
• Marlee Jade Roark, 27, 3177 Tiffany Court, Kingsport, aggravated burglary, theft $1,000 or more.
• Gabriel Ira Shane Housewright, 21, 1528 Fairview Ave., Apt. 1, Kingsport, theft $1,000 or more.
• Stanley Ralph Spitzer, 53, 422 Dogwood St., Mount Carmel, possession of a Schedule II controlled substance (oxycodone) for delivery or sale.
• Sheena Adele Hawkins, 44, 115 Boone Ave., Gray, possession of a Schedule II controlled substance (oxymorphone) for delivery or sale, possession of a Schedule III controlled substance for delivery or sale, possession of a Schedule IV controlled substance (alprazolam) for delivery or sale, failure to yield to an emergency vehicle.
• Charles Luther Glasgow, 51, 716 Packing House Road, Kingsport, theft $1,000 or more.
• Tyler B. Hoard, 21, 3312 Waterson St., Kingsport, domestic assault.
• Mark Anthony Stone, 21, 1409 Statford Road, Apt. H., Kingsport, auto burglary, theft over $1,000.
• Leonard Dean Hogg, 47, 248 Aesque St., Kingsport, theft $1,000 or more.
• Cassie Kristin Chapman, 26, 1608 C St., No. 7, Kingsport, aggravated burglary, theft over $1,000, theft over $1,000 (separate case).
• Sherry L. Lane, 46, 134 Copas Road, No. 4, Kingsport, violation of habitual traffic offender order, running red light, failure to provide proof of financial responsibility.
• Christopher Leo Lindsey, 32, last known address 467 Virgil Ave., Kingsport, theft $500 or less (three counts), identity theft and forgery (two counts each).
• Christopher Vestal, 32, 701 Lucy Road, Kingsport, DUI, failure to provide proof of financial responsibility, reckless endangerment.