Kingsport Times News Saturday, August 29, 2015
Local News

Fifty-pound marijuana parcel sparks police pursuit across state line

June 7th, 2012 5:19 pm by Kacie Dingus Breeding and Wes Bunch

WEBER CITY — With assistance from the United States Postal Inspection Service, an undercover drug investigation in Kingsport has netted the arrests of two men, and more arrests may be forthcoming.

Kingsport Police Chief Gale Osborne said Thursday afternoon the 2nd Judicial Drug Task Force and Kingsport Vice officers had conducted a controlled delivery of more than 50 pounds of marijuana to an undisclosed residence in Kingsport, with the hope that the suspects would deliver the package elsewhere.

"They decided to run from us once they got to Lynn Garden Drive," said Osborne. He advised a police chase ensued, with speeds not exceeding "60 or so miles an hour" on Lynn Garden Drive.

One suspect, identified as Brandon Huckaby, no age or address provided, "bailed out" near East Carters Valley on Lynn Garden Drive, and officers located him in the area a short time later, Osborne said.

The other suspect, identified as Ramon Lopez, no age or address provided, was pursued into Virginia, he said. Scott County Sheriff John Puckett and Virginia State Police captured Lopez and recovered the marijuana during a traffic stop conducted at approximately 4:30 p.m. in the parking lot of Colonial Downs.

“We got a call from dispatch saying that Kingsport was in pursuit and was aware that the subject had 53 pounds of marijuana in his vehicle,” Puckett said.

He said a “2-foot square box” containing the large quantity of marijuana was found in the back seat of the late-model Cadillac Lopez was driving.

Osborne said Lopez will face charges in Virginia, and then be extradited back to Tennessee to face additional charges.

Puckett advised Lopez is being charged in Virginia with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and driving without a license.

Osborne declined to provide the address of the residence where the controlled delivery was made, at least for the time being. He cited that the investigation is ongoing, additional search warrants are being executed, and additional arrests are possible.

No one — the officers, suspects, or the public — was injured during the chase, Osborne said.

comments powered by Disqus