ROGERSVILLE — A Church Hill man accused of biting a section of his fiancÃ©e’s lower lip off during an argument last November has been indicted on one count of aggravated assault by the Hawkins County grand jury.
According to preliminary hearing testimony, Doris Ray Williams Jr., 40, 130 Jones Drive Estates, Church Hill, had been in an argument with his fiancÃ©e, Mary Kathryn Whetsell, the evening of Nov. 24, 2007, while the two were visiting the Hog Wild Saloon in Kingsport.
According to reports, Williams left the saloon after police were called, and Whetsell stayed.
The argument reportedly continued when Whetsell arrived home after Williams. According to reports, alcohol use was a factor in the incident.
Hawkins County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Tony Spitzer stated in the arrest warrant that Whetsell claimed Williams bit about one-third of her lower lip off during that argument and also threw her down on a glass coffee table, breaking a ceramic plate that cut her hip and foot.
Spitzer testified during Williams’ preliminary hearing that when he arrived at the residence he observed the missing part of lip lying on a table, and Whetsell was bleeding from the mouth.
According to court records, attempts to reattach the section of lip were unsuccessful, although court records also indicate that Whetsell received plastic surgery and has shown improvement.
Authorities said Thursday that Williams and Whetsell are no longer engaged.
Williams is expected to stand trial on the charge next month.
Others indicted by the Hawkins County grand jury this week and their charges include:
• Robert Angell, 22, 217 Stanley Valley Road, Lot 16, Rogersville; burglary, aggravated burglary, theft under $500 and theft over $1,000.
• David Arnold Eldridge, 43, 190 California Ave., Church Hill; assault, two counts of aggravated assault, evading arrest, DUI and vandalism.
• Rita Ann Collins, 47, Morristown; two counts of possession of oxycodone with intent to deliver and two counts of possession of dihydrocodeinone with intent to deliver.
• Charles Wendell Gilbert, 58, Jonesville, Va.; possession of oxycodone with intent to deliver and possession of dihydrocodeinone with intent to deliver.
• David A. Depew, 19, 925 Hermitage Drive, Mount Carmel; aggravated burglary and theft under $500.
• Raymond House, 18, 226 Fugate St., Rogersville; aggravated burglary and theft over $1,000.
• Tony Chester McNally, 40, P.O. Box 401, Surgoinsville; robbery.
• Thurston Jay Matthews, 24, 243 Ebbing and Flowing Springs Road, Rogersville; theft over $500.
• Jaqueline Elaine Montemarano, 21, 5152 Highway 11-W, Rogersville; theft over $1,000.
• Clifford James Peach, 67, 164 Price Road, Rogersville; felony reckless endangerment.
• Misty Nicole Burns Pearson, 25, 187 Stapleton Lane, Rogersville; theft under $500, identity theft, two counts of forgery and fraudulent use of a credit card.
• Kristen Cam Peavler, 34, 168 Cedar Hills Road, Rogersville; six counts of forgery and theft under $500.
• Jason Calvert Pilkenton, 34, 1460 Route 70-N, Rogersville; DUI fourth offense, driving on a revoked license, two counts of possession of legend drugs, and violation of the child restraint law.