BLOUNTVILLE - New commercial construction starts in non-city portions of Sullivan County were up - in both number of projects and total dollar value - in 2006, compared to the previous year. The amount of new commercial construction was estimated to be worth nearly four times the dollar amount of commercial construction projects in 2005.
And residential construction, in total, saw an increase.
But fewer permits were issued for new home construction in non-city portions of Sullivan County during 2006 than were issued in 2005.
According to 2005 and 2006 annual building reports from the county's planning and zoning department:
• In 2005, Sullivan County issued 44 commercial building permits for about $3.1 million worth of new construction.
• In 2006, the numbers jumped to 64 permits and more than $12.1 million in new commercial construction.
• In 2005, Sullivan County issued 871 residential building permits for about $52 million worth of construction.
• That included 298 new homes with a total construction cost of about $42.5 million.
• In 2006, Sullivan County issued 911 residential building permits for about $57.4 million worth of construction.
• That included 270 new homes with a total construction cost of about $40 million.
• In 2005, Sullivan County issued four industrial building permits for about $2 million worth of construction.
• The numbers dropped in 2006 to one permit for $372,000 in new industrial construction.
• Also on the downturn: permits and total construction value for single-wides.
• In 2005, Sullivan County issued 100 permits for single-wide homes with total new construction value of more than $1.5 million.
• The numbers were down in 2006 to 60 single-wide permits with new construction valued at about $1.05 million.
• In all, Sullivan County issued 1,031 building permits - including commercial, residential, single-wide, industrial, signs, and temporary - in 2005, with a total new construction value of about $59 million.
• In 2006, the county issued 1,056 building permits total - all categories combined - with a total new construction value of about $71 million.
• Total revenue to the county, from building permits and other planning and zoning fees, was up about $10,000 from 2005 ($97,000) to 2006 ($107,000).