• PITCHING LESSONS, for individuals and teams ages 9-14, are being offered by David Hoover, former pitching coach at Dobyns-Bennett and Daniel Boone. Call (423) 578-3427.
• COLONIAL HEIGHTS REBELS 9-under local travel baseball team is hosting private tryouts for the upcoming fall/spring seasons. All games will be in the Tri-Cities area. Contact Justin Crawford at (423) 765-3782.
• VELOCITY BASEBALL USSSA 11-under team is hosting private tryouts. Contact Coach Jay at (423) 833-1304, email [email protected] or go online at velocitybaseballofjc.teamapp.com for more information.
• COLONIAL HEIGHTS ATHLETIC COMMISSION is registering for youth basketball, age divisions 4-6, 7-8, 9-10 and 11-13. Deadline to sign up is Nov. 11. Go online at chacsports.leagueapps.com.
• 17TH SHOOTING STARS fall 3-on-3 league signups, with boys and girls divisions for grades 4-12, run through Aug. 31. Entry fee is $150 per team, which includes 12 games plus the tournament. Games will be played Sunday afternoons, starting Sept. 2, at Science Hill in Johnson City. Call (423) 341-0133 or email [email protected]
• ANNUAL CHURCH HILL TROUT RODEO, for kids ages 4-16 and sponsored by VFW Post 9754, Buffalo Springs Fish Hatchery, CASVA Angus Farm and Food City, will be held Saturday, Sept. 8, from 8:30-10 a.m., at Jaycees Park, 455 North Central Ave., Church Hill. Age divisions are 4-7, 8-11 and 12-16, and the event is free and open to the community. In addition to trophies, doughnuts and drinks, there will a chance to win a new bicycle. Register your child at Church Hill City Hall or at Jaycees Park before 8 a.m. the day of the event. Call the Recreation Department at (423) 357-7010 with questions.
• BAYS MOUNTAIN TRAIL RACE, a 15-miler and part of the Skelton Law Racing Series, will take place Saturday, Sept. 15, starting at 8 a.m., at Bays Mountain Park in Kingsport. Contact race director Mark Skelton at (423) 272-4812 or go online at RunTriCities.org.
• BLUEGRASS HALF MARATHON, presented by The Goose Chase, will be held on Sunday, Sept. 30 at Founders Park in Johnson City. The Kid’s Race begins at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 28. For more information, go online at thegoosechase.org/bluegrass-half-marathon-relays.
• FIRST DISTRICT TENNESSEE Senior Olympics will be held in September. The First District comprises seven counties: Carter, Hancock, Hawkins, Johnson, Sullivan, Unicoi and Washington. Open sports that do not require district qualification include archery, cycling, 5K and 10K road races, racquetball, cornhole, pole vault, disc golf and the power walk. Entry forms are available at local senior centers. Deadline to enter is Aug. 24.
• INAUGURAL PARKS AND REC Adult Soccer League is now forming. The league, hosted by Kingsport Parks and Recreation and Tri-Cities United, opens Wednesday, Aug. 29. All games take place on Wednesday nights, starting at 7 p.m., at the Kingsport Soccer Complex on Sullivan Gardens. Players can register to be on a team or as an individual and be placed on a team. FGo online at kingsportsoccer.org or email [email protected] to learn more.
• KINGSPORT PIRANHAS DEVELOPMENTAL Swim School for ages 4 and up is registering for a final fall session Sept. 18-Oct. 11 at Dobyns-Bennett. Cost is $125. Register online at KingsportPiranhas.com. Call Jorge Blasini at (423) 967-4264 or email [email protected] for more information.
• EASTMAN RECREATION women’s and mixed (six-person) volleyball leagues are now forming. All play will be on Mondays. Practice begins Sept. 17 and the season begins Oct. 15 at the V.O. Dobbins and Lynn View community centers. Entry fee is $100 per team. Those interested in organizing a team should call Jack Henry at 384-1765 or the Eastman Recreation Office at 229-3771. A managers’ meeting will be held Thursday, Oct. 4 at 5:30 p.m. in B-310. Rosters and entry fee should be submitted by that date. Go online at eastmanrecreationclub.com.