• PITCHING LESSONS, for individuals and teams ages 9-14, are being offered by David Hoover, former pitching coach at Dobyns-Bennett and Daniel Boone. Call (423) 578-3427 for details.
• COLONIAL HEIGHTS REBELS 9-under local travel baseball team is hosting private tryouts for the upcoming fall/spring seasons. There also will be an open tryout starting at 2 p.m. on Saturday, July 28 at the Rebels Complex. All games will be in the Tri-Cities area. For more information, contact Justin Crawford at (423) 765-3782.
• VELOCITY BASEBALL USSSA 11-under team is hosting private tryouts. Contact Coach Jay at (423) 833-1304, email [email protected] or go online at velocitybaseballofjc.teamapp.com for more information.
• LINCOLN MEMORIAL men’s basketball individual skills camp is set for July 30-Aug. 2 at Tex Turner Arena. Preregistration fee is $85 and day-of-camp fee is $100. For more information, contact Railsplitters assistant coach Jeremiah Samarrippas at [email protected]
• ETSU WOMEN’S BASKETBALL and coach Brittney Ezell will hold a Buccaneer Experience Camp for high schoolers on Aug. 4-5 inside Brooks Gym in Johnson City. The Wednesday, Aug. 4 camp is for rising juniors and seniors, and the Thursday, Aug. 5 camp is for rising freshmen and sophomores. Cost is 50. To register, go online at BrittneyEzellBasketball.com. For more information, call the ETSU women’s basketball offices at (423) 439--5330 or email [email protected]
• CARSON-NEWMAN’S shooting camp will be held from noon-3 p.m. on Aug. 6-10; fee is $75. To learn more, call Eagles assistant coach Shane Williams at (423) 943-3037 or email [email protected]
• VIRGINIA-WISE WOMEN’S BASKETBALL Elite Camp, for rising eighth-graders through seniors, is set for Saturday, Aug. 11 at the Prior Center. Coach Jamie Cluesman and her staff will instruct campers on collegiate level drills, shooting competitions, competitive 5-on-5 games and learn about the life of a collegiate student athlete. Early registration ends July 31. Go online at vawisecavs.com.
• LINCOLN MEMORIAL Men’s Basketball Elite Camps will be held Aug. 19. Fee per attendee is $75. For more information, contact Railsplitters assistant coach Jeremiah Samarrippas at [email protected]
• COLONIAL HEIGHTS ATHLETIC COMMISSION is registering for youth basketball, age divisions 4-6, 7-8, 9-10 and 11-13. Deadline to sign up is Nov. 11. Go online at chacsports.leagueapps.com.
• 17TH SHOOTING STARS fall 3-on-3 league signups, with boys and girls divisions for grades 4-12, run through Aug. 31. Entry fee is $150 per team, which includes 12 games plus the tournament. Games will be played Sunday afternoons, starting Sept. 2, at Science Hill in Johnson City. Call (423) 341-0133 or email [email protected]
• CHURCH HILL-MOUNT CARMEL-Surgoinsville Recreation Department is registering for youth football in July. Age brackets are 6-8 and 9-12; fee is $40 per player. The child must turn 6 before Sept. 30, 2018, but may not turn 13 before that date or be in the seventh grade to be eligible to play. Register your child Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., at Church Hill City Hall or online at churchhilltn.gov. Call (423) 357-7010 with further questions.
• BOYS AND GIRLS CLUB of Greater Kingsport is conducting signups through Aug. 10 for the Sullivan County Football League Indians football and cheer teams. Sign up Monday-Friday, from 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m., at the Eastman Center behind Pratt’s BBQ on Stone Drive in Kingsport. Cost is $25 for members and $35 for non-members. A child who attends any Kingsport city school is eligible to play. Divisions are flag (ages 5-7), junior varsity (ages 8-9) and varsity (ages 10-12). The Indians play all home games at J. Fred Johnson Stadium. For more information, contact Travis Herron at (423) 429-3642.
• COLONIAL HEIGHTS FLAG FOOTBALL evaluations, for boys and girls ages 3-17, will be held at 9 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 11 at South View Community Park, 401 Rock Springs Road, Kingsport. Entry fee is $60. For more information or to register, go online at chacsports.leagueapps.com or contact Chad Rutherford at (423) 416-0775.
• THIRD JCPD/SPECIAL OLYMPICS golf tournament will take place Saturday, July 28 at Elizabethton Golf Course. There will be an 8 a.m. shotgun start for the four-person, select-shot event. Entry fee is $45 per player or $180 per team. Contact Tony Ward at (423) 791-4305 for more information.
• SECOND DOBYNS-BENNETT BASEBALL Golf Challenge will be held Saturday, Aug. 11 at Crockett Ridge Golf Course, 4439 L Jack Drive, Kingsport. There will be a 9 a.m. shotgun start for the four-man, select-shot event, which is sponsored by The Plastic Surgery Center of East Tennessee. Entry fee is $75 per player or $300 per team; lunch will be provided by Texas Roadhouse. For more information or to register, contact Jennifer McDavid at (423) 956-0445 or [email protected] or D-B coach Ryan Wagner at (423) 384-0985 or [email protected]
• DEVIL’S BACKBONE HIKE at Warriors Path State Park begins at 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday, July 25. Drive to the camp store and carpool to the start of this invigorating hike.
• LAKE HOLLOW HIKE at Warriors Path State Park starts at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, July 26. Meet at the camp store.
• SUNSET HIKE at Warriors Path State Park starts at 8 p.m. on Friday, July 27. Meet at the camp store and carpool to the trail. Bring a flashlight for the walk back down.
• SLIPSTREAM TRACK & FIELD CLUB is entering its 26th summer season. Open to all athletes ages 7-18 from Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia, practices are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Daniel Boone and on Mondays at Greeneville. Practices start at 6:30 p.m. For more information, go online at slipstreamtrackclub.com or contact club director Brian Buckner at (423) 742-5004.
• APPALACHIA RAILROAD DAYS 5K, 3-mile power walk and 1-mile fun walk will be held Saturday, Aug. 4 in Appalachia. Preregistration for the 5K is $14; day-of-race fee is $15. Preregistration for the walk events is $10; day-of-race fee is $11. For more information, contact Randy Blair at (276) 393-9577.
• FIT4LIFE GLOW RUN 5K — featuring an ’80s theme — will be held Friday, Aug. 10 at The Wellness Center in Johnson City. Go online at thegoosechase.org/5k-glow-run for more information.
• BAYS MOUNTAIN TRAIL RACE, a 15-miler and part of the Skelton Law Racing Series, will take place Saturday, Sept. 15, starting at 8 a.m., at Bays Mountain Park in Kingsport. Contact race director Mark Skelton at (423) 272-4812 or go online at RunTriCities.org.
• BLUEGRASS HALF MARATHON, presented by The Goose Chase, will be held on Sunday, Sept. 30 at Founders Park in Johnson City. The Kid’s Race begins at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 28. For more information, go online at thegoosechase.org/bluegrass-half-marathon-relays.
• CHURCH HILL-MOUNT CARMEL-Surgoinsville Recreation Department is registering for youth outdoor soccer in July. Age brackets are 7-9 and 10-13; fee is $20 per player. The child must turn 7 before Sept. 30, 2018, but may not turn 14 before that date to be eligible to play. Register your child Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., at Church Hill City Hall or online at churchhilltn.gov. Call (423) 357-7010 with further questions.
• JOHNSON CITY PARKS and Recreation began registering for its girls travel softball league on July 2. Teams for ages 8-under, 10-under and 12-under will play an eight-game schedule starting Monday, Aug. 13; sites are Metro-Kiwanis Park and Carnegie Park. Cost is $200 per team plus $5 for each non-city resident. Register at the Winged Deer Park Athletic Office, 4137 Bristol Highway, by Friday, Aug. 3.
• KINGSPORT PIRANHAS DEVELOPMENTAL SWIM SCHOOL for ages 4 and up is now accepting registrations for the fall sessions, to be held Aug. 14-Sept. 6 and Sept. 18-Oct. 11 at Dobyns-Bennett High School. Cost is $125. Register online at www.KingsportPiranhas.com. Call Jorge Blasini at 423-967-4264 or email:[email protected] for more info.
•KINGSPORT PIRANHAS FALL CLINIC AND TRY OUTS will be held at Dobyns-Bennett High School August 13-23. For all swimmers interested in joining the Piranhas. Cost is $80. Register online at www.KingsportPiranhas.com. Call Jorge Blasini at 423-967-4264 or email: [email protected] for more info.
• 45th VIRGINIA-WISE Tennis Tournament, sponsored by Impressions Inc., will be held Friday through Sunday, July 27-29, at the Jim and Betty Humphreys Tennis Complex. The event will feature singles and doubles events for both junior and adult divisions. Entry fee is $12 per person per event (limit of two events per person) with all proceeds benefiting the Virginia-Wise tennis program. All players should bring an unopened can of balls per match and USTA rules apply. The deadline to register is 5 p.m. on Wednesday, July 25, at 5 p.m. Go online at uvawisecavs.com for more information and registration forms, or contact tournament director Danny Rowland at (276) 328-1100, (276) 870-8744 or [email protected]
• ROCK, ROW & RUN KIDS AQUATHLON, for ages 6-12, is set for 9 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 18 at Legion Street Pool, 111 Legion St., Johnson City. Participants will row a kayak (which will be furnished) across Legion Street Pool, run the distance and then join the party. Cost is $25 per person through Aug. 10 and $35 afterward. Register online at myjcparks.org or at Memorial Park Community Center, 510 Bert St., Johnson City. For more information, call (423) 434-5749.