Aside from spreading cheer, Old St. Nick will be spreading lots of candy to spectators in both events, bringing up the rear atop a fire engine.
Lineup for the Surgoinsville event will begin at 10 a.m. at the city maintenance building on Old Stage Road, with the parade starting at 11 a.m.
The parade route is east on Old Stage Road to Main Street, where it will turn right on Main and continue west to Church Street. At Church Street, the parade turns right again and returns to the maintenance building.
Mount Carmel’s parade starts at 3 p.m. with lineup beginning at 2 p.m. at Hardee’s on Main Street.
From the restaurant, the parade will follow Main Street east, with participants dispersing at the Hammond Avenue intersection.
Mount Carmel officials want to remind parade participants that town insurance regulations prohibit participants from throwing candy from their floats and/or vehicles.
The town asks participants to enlist the help of “elves” to walk beside their floats/vehicles and personally hand candy to spectators.
At the conclusion of the Mount Carmel parade, the public is invited to a reception at the fire hall on Hammond Avenue, where a variety of awards will be presented to the best floats, best safety vehicles, best bands, etc. Light refreshments will also be served.
Hawkins County will host a few other Christmas-related activities this weekend including:
* The Bulls Gap School Holiday Auction on Friday with dinner and registration at 5 p.m. and the auction at 6 p.m.
Proceeds will benefit Bulls Gap School and its students. The live auction will feature donated electronics, furniture, automotive, crafts, home items, gift certificates, gift cards and much more.
* The Market 100 community sale to benefit Cub Scout Pack 100 on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the upper level of the Rogersville American Legion Post 21 building on East Main Street. It’s a good stop for Christmas shoppers, as numerous vendors will be selling a variety of items.
* The Colonial Christmas tour of historic Amis House, built in 1781, on Saturday and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. both days. A $10 contribution is requested per person, and all proceeds will go toward restoration of the nearby Amis Mill Dam, which was built in 1780.
You can access the property from the Amis Mill Eatery, 127 W. Bear Hollow Road, which is where the dam is located along with ruins of the mill, and the Big Creek Visitors Center. A gravel road behind the eatery will take you to the Amis House.