no avatar

Pulaski wins by 10 runs as K-Mets drop sixth straight

Bill Lane • Jul 1, 2010 at 11:55 AM

KINGSPORT — The 2010 edition of the Kingsport Mets obviously has a sprinkling of talented players but their 2-8 win-loss record doesn’t offer much promise of a successful season.

Pulaski added to the K-Mets’ misery Thursday night, pounding out a 13-3 Appalachian League decision.

It marked Kingsport’s sixth straight defeat — a slump Pulaski manager Eddy Menchaca said he could relate to.

“It’s kind of frustrating when you know your team isn’t going the way it should,’’ Menchaca said. “The only thing you can do is feed the players positive energy.

“We’re here to develop players and try to get them to do better. We went into Princeton the other day and got an impressive victory, then lost two in a row. This happens in baseball.’’

While Menchaca was busy patting players on the back for a job well done, Kingsport skipper Mike DiFelice and his coaches were in the clubhouse going over areas in need of immediate attention.

Earlier, as the K-Mets tried to end their slump, Pulaski center fielder Jarret Burgess resolved one of his own.

Burgess was 0-for-11 when he stepped to the plate in the sixth inning with his team protecting a 4-2 lead. He jumped on a high fastball and sent it sailing over the left-field fence for a grand slam.

The 370-foot shot built the Mariners’ margin to 8-2 and there was no looking back.

Kingsport’s only score after that came on a 365-foot solo homer by Javier Rodriguez leading off the bottom of the ninth.

A 6-foot-2, 190-pound leadoff batter from Miami, Fla., Burgess was taken in the sixth round of the 2008 draft and had gone hitless in two previous games. He struck out in his first plate appearance against the K-Mets, then grounded out and walked.

He unloaded with his homer after Ethan Paquette and Larry Gonzalez got back-to-back singles and Jake Schlander walked to the fill the bases.

The K-Mets took a 2-1 lead in the fourth. Lucas Stewart walked, Nelfi Zapata was struck by a pitched ball and Brandon Brown moved both runners with a sacrifice. Ray Van Gurp then blasted a two-run double down the left- field line.

The lead was short-lived. Pulaski quickly put three runs on the scoreboard and salted the win away with a pair of four-run uprisings in the sixth and seventh.

Spectators will be treated to a fireworks show following tonight’s game with the Mariners at Hunter Wright Stadium.

Recommended for You

    Kingsport Times News Videos